Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

LHI doing C & P Exam

Rate this question

navyguy357

Question

I have an appt with LHI to do my C & P exam for my two claims: 1. Service connected restrictive lung disease, claiming worsening for sleep apnea and 2. Hypertension also service connected, claiming worsening

What can I expect at this exam? Although I am service connected for restrictive lung disease, I am claiming sleep apnea because I have two sleep studies with diagnosed as obstructive sleep apnea, one is with VA and they prescribed me a CPAP that I am using now. Also on my decision letter it states that I claimed sleep apnea while in service but they gave me restrictive lung disease service connected.

My hypertension is service connected with a prescription prescribed while in service and it has worsened.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, vetquest said:

Not to disagree with Buck52 but I took copies of all pertinent records to my C&P when it was done by an outside examiner.  They both thanked me in that they did not have to search through my entire C file for the evidence.  Yes they are required to read your entire C file but it makes it much easier for them when they have a starting point.  

The examiner has a duty to you to go through your records and use that info to develop his or her opinion. It's pretty obvious when you challenge a C&P exam because of a fly by night operation run by an examiner who doesn't do his/her job. They sent me a copy of my CFile a month ago that shows over 3k pages that the examiner should review, filter for applicable facts, and use to make an informed decision about any ??'s the VSR is asking about my condition. That's why they make the $$ for what they do, it is in the job description!!

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is required to send the examiner your medical files &  everything that your claiming  to the examiner  VA or contractor , the examiner must be qualified to do the exam.

They read your records including the DBQ  Off their computer  it's the only way they can make an informed opinion about your medical status. (which most of us know) 

Ok   now sometimes the VA don't send the examiner all the records that would help substantiate your claim   when this happen the C&P is Inadequate ..if you know that the examiner is not covering something  speak up during your exam and ask did you read about what Dr Smith reports says about my..ect,,ect,,,  then the examiner  will either say yea or nay  and sometime we may just get a down right examiner with an attitude

It's ok to take copies or any evidence you have to your exam  for this reason  incase the examiner don't have all the information and facts.  then you can let him/her know you just happen to have a hard copy of that  with you ....>  if you need too.

When this happens this is what needs to be reported to the C&P Coordinator or Chief!

Edited by Buck52

I need advice.........................

I had my C&P exam today with LHI for 1). Hypertension  service connected claiming for worsening  2). Restrictive lung disease service connected claim sleep apnea as a secondary. This is what happened:

They took 3 readings 160/100  140/100 140/100 and she took my copy of my log which show readings taken twice a day with an average in the morning of 142/106 and in the afternoon 139/98 (with medication).

The doctor instructed me that I was scheduled to be here to be seen for worsening of restrictive lung disease and she told me that it would be better for me to file a new claim for sleep apnea and not secondary to restrictive lung disease. This was after we discussed my documentation. She didn't even entertain that the two could be related and possibly misdiagnosed. She did give me a PFT to see if my lung disease worsen.

1. I have to wait on the PFT result to see if the results are in my favor........If the results are, do I need to do a claim for worsening or does my appt today count for that and I will get an increase automatic?

2 Do I do a new claim for sleep apnea? I have two sleep studies now , one being from VA that states severe sleep apnea and a CPAP prescribed. I have medical evidence while in service that I was seen for sleep disorder and symptoms. My VA rep instructed me to do the sleep apnea as a secondary to restrictive lung disease and said not to do a new claim for sleep apnea since I was already service connected for restrictive lung disease.

3. Will I get an increase for my blood pressure?

If you were DX'd while on active duty with Sleep Apnea (OSA, CSA or Mixed SA), you don't have to prove an Etiology, SMR's documenting the DX is all that is necessary. How long ago was the in-service SA DX?

This SA Claim is a New Direct SC Claim, regardless of Nexus Condition. You do have all your SMR's verifying the In-Service Sleep Study and subsequent SA DX, correct? Are you still using the VSO-Rep that assisted or filed your 1st VA Claim, might be time to rethink that decision? Did you withhold the SA In-Service DX and treatment from the VSO-Rep on purpose?

8 hours ago, Gastone said:

If you were DX'd while on active duty with Sleep Apnea (OSA, CSA or Mixed SA), you don't have to prove an Etiology, SMR's documenting the DX is all that is necessary. How long ago was the in-service SA DX?

This SA Claim is a New Direct SC Claim, regardless of Nexus Condition. You do have all your SMR's verifying the In-Service Sleep Study and subsequent SA DX, correct? Are you still using the VSO-Rep that assisted or filed your 1st VA Claim, might be time to rethink that decision? Did you withhold the SA In-Service DX and treatment from the VSO-Rep on purpose?

. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea after military service. I separated in 2005 and I have diagnosis for sleep apnea in 2011 and 2016 ( VA with prescribed CPAP). I have medical records while in service where I was seen for sleep disorder and snoring. At my discharge examination in 20042005, I missed a sleep study appt while in service.  My VA rep believed that my symptoms of sleep disorder and snoring was sleep apnea related but was diagnosed for it. I think this is the reason why my VA REP wanted to file a claim for sleep apnea secondary to my service connected restrictive lung disease.

Edited by pshaw

Just now, pshaw said:

. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea after military service. I separated in 2005 and I have diagnosis for sleep apnea in 2011 and 2016 ( VA with prescribed CPAP). I have medical records while in service where I was seen for sleep disorder and snoring. At my discharge examination in 20042005, I missed a sleep study appt while in service.  My VA rep believed that my symptoms of sleep disorder and snoring was sleep apnea related but was diagnosed for it. I think this is the reason why my VA REP wanted to file a claim for sleep apnea secondary to my service connected restrictive lung disease.