VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective Date Confusion

Rate this question

USMCVet13

Question

I just saw on eBenefits that some of what I claimed was service-connected. The effective date when I click 'Disabilities' is 1/27/2017 (Intent to File), but when I generate a letter it says "The effective date of the last change to your current award was: 12/01/2017."

Is one more correct than the other, or do I need to just wait for my decision letter? 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

You will find out what you need to know when you get your decision.  My appeal had several contentions.  One issue was awarded as of Sept. 07.  The next issue was awarded as of Dec 17.  I got backpay for the issue dated Sept 07 but the last change to current award was for Dec 17.

The effective date is almost always the date the received the claim, but I have seen them use the newest date of treatment also... so I would wait and see what the letter states....

• HadIt.com Elder

your effective date should be 1 -27-17  the date you files the ITF.

''The effective date of the last change to your current award was: 12/01/2017."

This is in reference to a change in payment  probably the cost of living( COLA)

Is how I understand it.

Buck is correct, and is just another example of how ebenefits is unreliable.  Ebenefits will often show the effective date to be the effective date of the most recent Cola, USUALLY December 1of the previous year.  

When you get the envelope, if disatisfied with the effective date ask again.  

Your effective date will the later or your file date or 1-27-17.  If a doc said your malady did not begin until June 1, 2017, then your effective date will be june 1, not Jan. 

OK, thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like I just need to stay away from eBenefits for awhile.

This is for knee and back issues that both began in service, so I guess it should go back to my intent to file. 

Thanks again.