Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did my C&P Exam go wrong?

Rate this question

Logarius

Question

I got scheduled to go get my C&P exam about little over a week ago. I wanted to reopen some cases for PTSD, Digestive disorders, Anxiety/Insomnia, back and shoulder issues. I show up to the VA Exam and get led into the room, to find out that the examiner is doing a Skype Interview rather than being in-person (and they are 45 minutes away). She goes over the basics for Anxiety/Insomnia, marital issues, etc. I start to try to bring up PTSD, but she brings it back to Anxiety/Insomnia category of topics to talk about. So, after about 30 minutes, she only covered that topic, and I felt a little frustrated, so I asked about going over all of my other issues which brought me into the exam like PTSD. She goes on to say "Oh, PTSD, yeah you are going to need another exam for that". So I think nothing of it until I go home and really ponder, how was a supposed to do a physical exam or anything else.

So I called the VA today to try and figure out if I will be needed back for another exam. The guy on the phone says, "yeah I see the notes from the exam and she marked you down for PTSD, Depression, Anxiety/Insomnia but there are no notes about having you come back in". So I explain that I never went over 80% of the items I came in over. I am really uncertain and not sure what I should do. 

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was trying to see if I could get back in since the Air Force seemed like a cake walk and because I was only 40% for those issues, I figured it wouldn't be a problem for me to get in.

As for my C&P Exam, Besides the anxiety/insomnia, she just covered work history, personal relationships, marital relations, but nothing else. My biggest concern was her just checking the box saying yes, I covered PTSD without ever doing the exam and just submitting it for the board to decide. I called the VA to ask what happened, he agreed that she didn't do her job correctly and he an inquiry in my file to ask why the rest of the exam wasn't done. 

I have all of the information, just not all of the paperwork. In our platoon, our Platoon Sergeant grew fed up with people going to BAS all of the time, so he had everyone line up and tell them what we wanted to go to BAS for to get seen. If he didn't like it, we didn't get to go. If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines of, "If I were to go to BAS for every single issue that I have, I'd be there all day, then I would never get anything done". I had back pain in Bootcamp that started acting up and kept flaring up over the next 4 years, but the only record is from that time.  So I don't think I would get covered for that. 

I had somewhere between 150-200 pages of medical history just regarding stomach ulcers, colonoscopies, endoscopies, CAT scans, duodenitis, gastritis, GERD, Acid Reflux, etc., but none of it made it into the VA medical record. I spent somewhere around 2 years on light duty. 

4 minutes ago, Logarius said:

I was trying to see if I could get back in since the Air Force seemed like a cake walk and because I was only 40% for those issues, I figured it wouldn't be a problem for me to get in.

You usually can't go back into active duty or any branch for that matter when you have service connected disabilities unless you relinquish your service connection and/or sign a waiver.  I am not 100% sure but I have heard of people wanting to go back in and can't because of their disabilities.

5 minutes ago, Logarius said:

As for my C&P Exam, Besides the anxiety/insomnia, she just covered work history, personal relationships, marital relations, but nothing else. My biggest concern was her just checking the box saying yes, I covered PTSD without ever doing the exam and just submitting it for the board to decide. I called the VA to ask what happened, he agreed that she didn't do her job correctly and he an inquiry in my file to ask why the rest of the exam wasn't done. 

Just so you are understanding, the board isn't where your claim is right now.  You are with a rater at the VA in the RO area that you live near.

If you were supposed to have a PTSD C&P exam, you will

So I finally got a hold of my previous denials when I was trying to figure out why I got denied. They said "med evid since service needed". Can I  schedule the appointments on my own to get these DBQs filled out and submitted or do I have to wait on the VA to create an appointment for me? 

Have you advised them of all VAMCs that treated you?, ....unless it is just one VAMC

Have you given them info and signed an authorization form for them to get your private medical records?

I asked this question here before many times with no answer-

When VA is aware of private treatment records, do they still send out theAuthorization form, giving them your permission to obtain those private records?

You have to tell them where all of those private records are from..

I have had no luck depending on the VA to get my private medical records.  I personally request the doctor (medical clerk) to send the medical records to the VA.

What you need to do first is get a copy of the C&P exam that this doctor performed.  If your VA is local and the C&P was performed by a VA doctor you could go to release of information and request a copy of the C&P.  If it was a private doctor it takes more time to get the results and they usually come on a CD.