Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did my C&P Exam go wrong?

Rate this question

Logarius

Question

I got scheduled to go get my C&P exam about little over a week ago. I wanted to reopen some cases for PTSD, Digestive disorders, Anxiety/Insomnia, back and shoulder issues. I show up to the VA Exam and get led into the room, to find out that the examiner is doing a Skype Interview rather than being in-person (and they are 45 minutes away). She goes over the basics for Anxiety/Insomnia, marital issues, etc. I start to try to bring up PTSD, but she brings it back to Anxiety/Insomnia category of topics to talk about. So, after about 30 minutes, she only covered that topic, and I felt a little frustrated, so I asked about going over all of my other issues which brought me into the exam like PTSD. She goes on to say "Oh, PTSD, yeah you are going to need another exam for that". So I think nothing of it until I go home and really ponder, how was a supposed to do a physical exam or anything else.

So I called the VA today to try and figure out if I will be needed back for another exam. The guy on the phone says, "yeah I see the notes from the exam and she marked you down for PTSD, Depression, Anxiety/Insomnia but there are no notes about having you come back in". So I explain that I never went over 80% of the items I came in over. I am really uncertain and not sure what I should do. 

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

8 minutes ago, Logarius said:

Currently, I have a case that is opened under the status of "Gathering of Evidence" that is set to have a decision between 10-31-2018 and 3-18-2019. Under my in-service MH issues in my record, I have it recorded under depression, anxiety, physical assault, and other physical issues. I reported these issues, but when the Battalion Surgeon finished my paperwork while in-service, he didn't put anything else down underneath it or any testimony. My PTSD isn't listed in the in-service, but something started after service, which I'm trying to get seen for MH. It looks like I'll need to go to a walk-in clinic. I think I'm just worried about going to an appointment and getting locked up for a psychiatric hold. 

I am concerned you already have a claim without all dots connected.  Get to a VA MH doctor as soon as you can.  As far as the claim, all you can do at this point is wait to see the outcome and then if and only if it is denied, then you need to file an NOD and move forward from there.  I would not put the cart before the horse just yet.  If the C&P exam is favorable, you might be service connected.

I don't know if the VA is just this screwed up or what or if its something I am doing or not doing, but I always seem to be having issues here dealing with them. I scheduled online about an hour ago to get an appointment for MH and put down PTSD as the reason why I scheduled my appointment.  I get a call back from the VA  about 20 minutes to go over the MH. So I tell her, that I'm coming in for PTSD to get a diagnosis, she tells me that is not the way it works. She looks into my account while talking and sees that I have a claim filed and says you can't schedule appointments for PTSD unless you are previously diagnosed and coming into come seek help. So I walk her back through the last 2 weeks, and she tells me that I can only have a C&P Exam give me a diagnosis, but I'm not able to go to a walk-in clinic for it.

you are going about this all wrong. You don’t call MH and aske to be seen for PTSD. You go to the walk-in clinic and tell them you are have issues mentally and need to discuss with a doctor. As long as you keep trying to push your demand for a PTSD diagnosis instead of letting it flow naturally, you are going to continue us to get road blocked. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy4life is correct.

Normally your VA PCP Refers you to MH,

They have a L.C.S.W sit down with you and talk to you ask you a few questions  and gives you a few questions to answer on paper ,  during all these questions  he should be typing 100MPH on the computer.

The L.C.S.W. then gets with a PHD Dr PROBABLY  VA PSYCHIATRIST  and compares your answers to these questions  and if they suspect you have any type of mental disorder  unspecified mental disorders to include Depression., Severe Anxiety,  or even TBI and of course PTSD  then they do a complete DSM 5 Diagnostic  test (MH Evaluation) this is when they may diagnose you for an Unspecified Mental Disorders..they use the DSM 5 Test and your symptoms  to determine your correct Diagnosis and slap your little happy ass in Therapy.

they won't lock you up unless you act out or present harm to yourself or others...so you need to behave at this time if you need a PTSD Dx

Do not mention a Claim to these MH People..you can use the MyHealthevet Notes later  to help substantiate your claim.