VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DONT BE FOOLED BY NO NEXUS!

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

NO PRE SERVICE PROBLEMS... THEN ENLISTMENT EXAM PASSES WITHOUT A PROBLEM..... THEN IN SERVICE PROBLEM..... THAT IN ITSELF CREATES A NEXUS.... DONT BE FOOLED THAT IT DOESNT.... BY DEFINITION IF YOU HAD ALL EXAMS PRIOR TO SERVICE THEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THAT IN IT SELF IS A NEXUS BETWEEN .... DONT GIVE UP AND FIGHT IT..... IF NO ONE CAN SAY ITS BEFORE THAN YOU HAVE WIN AT BVA AND CVAC. DONT LISTEN TO VSO JUST GO ALL THE WAY TO COURT. THE CVAC HAS STATED TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS TO PROVE THAT NO PROBLEM WAS AGGRAVATED DURING SERVICE. NOT THAT IT WAS CREATED B4 OR AFTER BUT THAT THE GOV HAS TO PROVE NO INCREASE DURING.. THAT IN ITSELF IS THE NEXUS WHEN THEY BOTH AGREE THAT A PROBLEM EXISTS AND IT WAS EXISTING IN SERVICE.

Edited by paulcolrain

I "somewhat" agree with Paul, especially if you file for benefits in the first year after exit from service.  You are given a "presumptive"..if you did not have it prior to service, and you do after service, then the presumption is you got it from service.  

However, it starts to "fall off" after a year of exit from service.  You really do need a nexus, in no small part because activities after your military service could have caused your maladies.  For example, a post service auto accident could have caused your issues.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 8/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, Holllie Greene said:

You make an excellent point about how illness/injuries did not exist before service...if illness/injuries did in fact exist we would not have been accepted into our respective branches of service in the first place.

This is correct to a certain degree. Another option for SC is "aggravation due to service". Some veterans had some preexisting conditions prior to joining the service. The entrance exam is supposed to evaluate them and determine if they would be a barrier to service. Some conditions may be acceptable, such as eyeglasses, acne, etc... When the veteran gets out and files a claim for the preexisting conditions which got worse during service, the VA is supposed to look for objective medical evidence and the entrance exam to determine a pre-service level of disability based on the rating criteria. They would then deduct that from the awarded rating percentage. If the entrance exam was silent, they are supposed to deem the pre-service level as 0%, but it doesn't always happen. Of course, having a nexus is still a really good idea.

25 minutes ago, broncovet said:

I "somewhat" agree with Paul, especially if you file for benefits in the first year after exit from service.  You are given a "presumptive"..if you did not have it prior to service, and you do after service, then the presumption is you got it from service. 

For some veterans, especially prior to 2000, the VA liked to deny unless the disability was diagnosed as "chronic" while in the service.

5 hours ago, Vync said:

For some veterans, especially prior to 2000, the VA liked to deny unless the disability was diagnosed as "chronic" while in the service.

My SMR's had "chronic" listed 40 times with the back and 6 times with the neck. Below is what I was granted -

WE CANNOT GRANT YOUR CLAIM FOR DISABILI TY
VA FORM
( RO COPY)
DECEMBER 23, 1985 
BENEFITS,
THE DISABILITY LISTED BELOW IS SERVICE CONNECTED BUT IS LESS THAN 10% DISABLING AND COMPENSATION IS NOT PAYABLE,,
BACK STRAIN
THERE IS ENTITLEMENT TO NECESSARY TREATMENT BY THE VA FOR ANY
SERVI CE* * CONNECTED DISABILITY. APPLICATION FOR NECESSARY
MENT SHOULD BE MADE AT THE NEAREST VA OFFICE, OUTPATI ENT
OR HOSPI TAL, , BRI NG THIS LETTER IF APPLYING IN PERSON. IF APPLYI NG BY LETTERS PLEASE I NCLUDE THE VA FI LE NUMBER SHOWN ABOVE, ,
THE EVIDENCE DOES NOT ESTABLISH SERVICE CONNECTION FOR THE FOLLOWI NG*
SHOULDER CONDITION, LEFT
CONDITION OF THE SKELETAL SYSTEM

Hi,

I read your post three times (paulcolrain) and it makes sense, it is logical to me.  You make an excellent point about how illness/injuries did not exist before service...if illness/injuries did in fact exist we would not have been accepted into our respective branches of service in the first place.

Now after service we have to battle again with an agency that is supposed to help.  Crazy situation.

Never Give Up.  Never Give Up.  Never Give Up.

Edited by Holllie Greene
typo