Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea feedback

Rate this question

mccarthy0826

Question

Morning everyone,

I have a pending claim for sleep apnea that originally was not rated but partially denied for a sleep exam. However the VA had on file three completed studies from my private care and cpap compliance etc for over five years. Myself and my VSO guess that it is positive where  it would be waste of investment in the test to find the outcome they already had valid documentation for.

I went to another C&P exam before thanksgiving and the doctor agreed there was no need for any further testing. My claim passed review and is back in preparation for decision notification(reviewer agreed with examiner to not require another study). 

Just looking for any feedback if anyone has been there with their sleep apnea? Should the point of a test and cost to VA matter in my thoughts? 

I know the biggest part of the game here is connection and I'm never trusting fully of the VA. So I am 50/50 hopeful that where they didn't deny it with all the info they needed to do so if they desired, that the further inquiry to my condition could be just to firm up a rating and more forward with a payment. It also could just be further checking all their bases to deny.

• HadIt.com Elder

I never heard of this, but sounds interesting, I sure could  use this devise if it works?

I am always waking up due to night sweats and nightmare's, toss and turn fight in my sleep ect,,ect,,,,,  once I wake up its hard to go back to sleep some nights i don't get any sleep with my c-pap mask all off and hoses gasping with the air flow ect,,ect,,, just a big mess in the middle of the night  this happen 2 /3 times a week

Although I am not service connected for Sleep apnea  the VA sent me to a outside  sleep study and diagnose me with mild to moderate OSA,(Sleep Apnea)and require me to use the c=pap overnight.

I could get it service connected to my PTSD but just have not filed for it  yet.

but I would like to check this new devise out  '' BONGO Rx,,,,anyone know just how this thing works? and is it for real?

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I  had the Inspire system which involves surgical implants.   Inspire works pretty good for those who cannot tolerate the CPAP.  I have a hand held device that turns on the Inspire system and it sends shocks  to the muscles that block the air way.  It works about 80% for apnea which is better than nothing.  The VA can do the Inspire surgery.  It won't cure the central nervous system apnea.  If you stop breathing I don't know what will fix that.

i wonder tho- for those of us SC-

would this make us loose 50%- since CPAP would no longer be used? surgery too- how do these effect ratings? just curious and like to think like the devil(AKA the VA and VARO's out there) on any loop hole that will loose my benefits...

• 100% – chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention, the need for a tracheostomy, or cor pulmonale (i.e., the enlargement or failure of the right side of the heart due to lung disease)
  • 50% – if a veteran requires the use of a breathing assistance device, such as a CPAP machine
  • 30% – the veteran is experiencing persistent daytime hypersomnolence (i.e., a condition characterized by chronic daytime sleepiness that does not improve even with sufficient sleep)
  • 0% – if the veteran’s condition is asymptomatic (i.e., condition that is not producing symptoms) but has a documented sleep disorder