Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

CBD oil

Rate this topic

• Adminstrator

About a week and half ago I had what I am guessing was a pain flare up.  I felt it coming for a week prior to it happening.  During the event I was working and the pain moved and crossed every muscle and join in my body.  It last for 14 hours.  I am waiting on a doctors appointment next week, but I have messaged my doctor about the event.  

What I am wondering is can I talk to my doctor at the VA about CBD oil?  The reason being is I do not want to become another vet that get 50 different prescriptions.  I want something that will manage my pain and other issues without the very bad side effects.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sure, you can talk to your doctor about it. I talked to my VA neurologist about CBD oil. He said it is approved for certain forms of epilepsy. Off the record, he said clinical research is being performed and the potential to treat chronic pain is very promising.

This information should help you out:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/marijuana.asp

VA and Marijuana – What Veterans need to know

Several states in the U.S. have approved the use of marijuana for medical and/or recreational use. Veterans should know that federal law classifies marijuana as a Schedule One Controlled Substance. This makes it illegal in the eyes of the federal government.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is required to follow all federal laws including those regarding marijuana. As long as the Food and Drug Administration classifies marijuana as Schedule I VA health care providers may not recommend it or assist Veterans to obtain it.

Veteran participation in state marijuana programs does not affect eligibility for VA care and services. VA providers can and do discuss marijuana use with Veterans as part of comprehensive care planning, and adjust treatment plans as necessary.

Some things Veteran need to know about marijuana and the VA:

• Veterans will not be denied VA benefits because of marijuana use.
  • Veterans are encouraged to discuss marijuana use with their VA providers.
  • VA health care providers will record marijuana use in the Veteran's VA medical record in order to have the information available in treatment planning. As with all clinical information, this is part of the confidential medical record and protected under patient privacy and confidentiality laws and regulations.
  • VA clinicians may not recommend medical marijuana.
  • VA clinicians may only prescribe medications that have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for medical use. At present most products containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), or other cannabinoids are not approved for this purpose by the FDA.
  • VA clinicians may not complete paperwork/forms required for Veteran patients to participate in state-approved marijuana programs.
  • VA pharmacies may not fill prescriptions for medical marijuana.
  • VA will not pay for medical marijuana prescriptions from any source.
  • VA scientists may conduct research on marijuana benefits and risks, and potential for abuse, under regulatory approval.
  • The use or possession of marijuana is prohibited at all VA medical centers, locations and grounds. When you are on VA grounds it is federal law that is in force, not the laws of the state.
  • Veterans who are VA employees are subject to drug testing under the terms of employment.

View the full directive ”Access to VHA Clinical Programs for Veterans Participating in State-Approved Marijuana Programs (73 KB, PDF).” (VHA Directive 1315)

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Lead Moderator

By coincidence, I spoke with my (VA doc) about this exact issue:  A prescription for CBD oil.  She said, "no".  

She did not deny that it works, but did give me the riot act about "unregulated supplements" where we dont always know the dosage.  In other words, unlike carefully regulated pharmacueticals, the percent of CBD oil in a particilar brand can vary widely from another brand.  

This is my take on this:  You can buy CBD oil, legally (at least in my state) over the counter or online.  It is, in a nutshell, hemp oil.  (Hemp was banned in many states, such as Kentucky because the plant "looks like marijuana" and law enforcement could not tell the difference between hemp and marijuana, so they banned it.  In Kentucky, the farmers were livid.  So, they had to come up with something so regulators offered incentives for Kentucky farmers to grow :  TOBACCO.  

CBD oil has no or very little of the "get high" THC that marijuana has.  CBD oil has many health benefits, but like many other supplements, docs want "more research" on it.  

Well, dont expect a lot of "new research" on hemp, or any other plant.  Why?  Becuase, in the USA a "plant" or herb is made by God and is not patentable.  This means a company does not want to research plants because, even when this plant turns out to be a miracle cure superior to pills, any one can also start selling the same plant.  Pills, however, are "protected" by patents so that competitors can not sell this formula for around 7 years, or until the government approves "generic" versions.  

Remember, too, medical schools are funded by pharmaceutical companies.  So, they teach doctors to "avoid herbal supplements" and go for pills instead even if, sometimes the main ingredient in pills is from a plant.  

For example, the main ingredient in Aspirin is formed from Willow bark.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@broncovet that is really good information!

When it finally gets approval, I'm going to probably have to wait for extended clinical trials. Having a heart attack limits what you can take safely.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Adminstrator

Thanks guys. Great info. I have a friend who uses it and has had great results. The good stuff is typically more expensive and she had tried most of them until she found this one. My works says I am good so waiting for my vet discount to order. 

• 4 years later...