VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lowes vs Home Depot for veterans

Rate this question

JDB

Question

Just thought that I would give a heads up to all veterans.  I recently found out that both Home Depot and Lowes give a 10% discount to vets.  I signed up on the Lowes web site with no problems, very easy, and the discount shows up automatically when you order on line or buy in the store, no matter if the item is on sale or not.  At Home Depot, no discount on sale items applies and all vet discounts are at the discretion of the store manager with many limitations.  The deeper you look the choice is obvious that Lowes honors the vet discount across the board, while Home Depot makes an arbitrary decision at the time of purchase and does not apply the vet discount to sale items or items not included in the vet discount category.

JDB

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Some Lowes like the one in Concord NH also have dedicated veteran parking spots. I think thats pretty cool as well. 

I worked at Lowe’s in TX, for about 3 yrs on and off. (2007 -2009, 2013)

very easy to get the Vet discount, just give them your number and bam %10 off. Only applies to reg price and sale items, clearance items for obvious reasons does not apply.

Home Sleepo..nope, it’s a pain in the rear and it’s up to the store manager as posted earlier.

A few years ago i bought a dryer. Same dryer at Lowes and Home Depot both on sale. Home Depot refused to give me the discount and told me sale items are exempt from discount and Lowes does the same. Went to Lowes and got the discount no problem. I now use Lowes exclusively and order online for in store pick up and the discount is applied on line at check out. HD only gives discount in store and only if they feel like it. The decision on whether to give the discount at HD is often at discretion of a teenage checkout clerk or clueless 20 something manager.

17 hours ago, JDB said:

while Home Depot makes an arbitrary decision at the time of purchase and does not apply the vet discount to sale items or items not included in the vet discount category.

My experience is different at HD.

I look for items that I want in damaged boxes. All associates at HD are allowed to give up to 25% off without supervisor approval. The Cashiers can too. Then I ask to apply my Vets discount. I have never been denied. This applies to HD's in Louisiana and Washington State that I have visited.

I do use Lowes also and their system works well too.