VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How long does the authorization process take?

Rate this question

smithmary614

Question

I have had an appeal in for over four years now. In January I was put on financial hardship to expedite my file. I was sent an SOC April 10th detailing why they couldn't fully grant my appeal. I did get two things increased but three other things denied. Also in the SOC they said that they newly granted me service connection for fibromyalgia, mental disorder and sciatica. But they had no rating in the SOC just a note saying "an award letter would come under a separate cover". The 1-800 number says that there has been a rating assigned to the new service connected conditions but they can't tell me what they are because they haven't been finalized yet. They are being reviewed and authorized. So my question is how long will that take to finish usually? And why did they do them separately? 

I would go with the IU.  If one of your disabilities is declared to be your IU sustaining disability you might be in line for SMC if you have another disability that is 60%. 

6 hours ago, smithmary614 said:

So the VA will call the social security to at least verify when I worked?

@smithmary614

everyone who is rated under TDIU has to fill out annual reports of what income they made.

By regulation and law VA contacts SS when a claim is made, directly or inferred, for TDIU to get that report

or at least that is the path they are supposed to take. Many folks who don't get TDIU but should have been considered for it, see no evidence that SS was contacted at all.

6 hours ago, smithmary614 said:

So now that its decided, how long until the money comes? It going to be about 100K. 

WOOHOO for you! Congrats.

Now you have to twiddle your thumbs for a while. large amounts take more signatures to approve.

I don't want to get into your business but most people have never had 100K handed to them and people can get a little silly when that happens.

I would suggest you find a financial advisor or at least talk to your regular bank about how that money is to be handled immediately.

I suggest you consider taking an amount like 1 or 2 k to just blow. Keep your hands off the rest. Don't be buying gifts for friends and family. DO NOT LOAN ANYONE ANYTHING!!

in fact don't tell anybody that you are getting anything, much less that amount!

I would suggest if you need things like a new car, clothes, computer, that you make a list  and figure out how much you want to spend. DO NOT PAY CASH FOR A BRAND NEW CAR!!!

I would suggest you look at your debts if any, find out which can be paid off completely without taking up that whole amount.

Keep in mind there are some good debts and bad debts. Having some debts can help your credit rating and are worth keeping, or at least not paying off.

For example if you have student loans in an amount, say 30K, and you have been paying on them regularly. Don't pay them off if your interest rates are what the govt set for sub and unsub loans. AT most pay off half of them and choose the unsub loans to pay off first. Fed Govt Unsub Student loans are at like 6 percent subs at about 3.8%. That 3.8% is a much better interest rate than almost any Credit Card debt (even the unsub rate is better than 99% of credit card interest rates) interest. Additionally the nature of Student loans as a long term debt, when paid as agreed, gives you a score boost. Further, any paid long term debt in good standing when paid off, gives you 10 years of "good" credit power after it is paid off.

Car loans are in this same category. Leverage the length of your loan to increase/support your credit rating for an additional 10 years after pay by paying off only half the loan and keeping the term where possible.

it is too complicated for a simple post, but a banker, who does not get a fee from you, can help you decide what are the best choices for you.

I would suggest that at least 50% of that money needs to be put away in safe, long term investment for your future, 75% would be better for you. Put them in instruments that cannot be legally attacked, say something owned by a trust fund instead of under your own name. The reason is if you ever got sued for a say traffic accident that back pay is potentially vulnerable even though it came from the Fed Govt as a compensation. Compensation is generally protected, but once it leaves the account it was deposited in it becomes vulnerable to a debt collection action or lawsuit.

Please just protect yourself from any potential debt collection or lawsuit, and most importantly protect that money from any possible habits you have in term of spending. That chunk of change can enhance any bad spending habit.

Congrats!

Let us know what the ratings are

VA has rescinded the requirement for annual filing of unemployment to prove entitlement to TDIU. I have two clients who have received the letters saying it is no longer required as they can see the SSA records on line now. 

Funny thing about that is that I worked for the Oregon Department of Justice over 20 years ago and that information was available back then.  I guess that the VA is just catching up.

2 hours ago, asknod said:

VA has rescinded the requirement for annual filing of unemployment to prove entitlement to TDIU. I have two clients who have received the letters saying it is no longer required as they can see the SSA records on line now.

@asknod

that is news.