VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How long does the authorization process take?

Rate this question

smithmary614

Question

I have had an appeal in for over four years now. In January I was put on financial hardship to expedite my file. I was sent an SOC April 10th detailing why they couldn't fully grant my appeal. I did get two things increased but three other things denied. Also in the SOC they said that they newly granted me service connection for fibromyalgia, mental disorder and sciatica. But they had no rating in the SOC just a note saying "an award letter would come under a separate cover". The 1-800 number says that there has been a rating assigned to the new service connected conditions but they can't tell me what they are because they haven't been finalized yet. They are being reviewed and authorized. So my question is how long will that take to finish usually? And why did they do them separately? 

• HadIt.com Elder

I am sure if your Congressman has a GOOD veteran rep working for him/her, they should be able to advise on the process because many of their constituents  experience financial hardships. Obviously, you will have to submit on some form in writing.

13 hours ago, vetquest said:

The good news is that you have been SC'ed, the bad news is that you must now wait for the two new conditions to be rated.  

How long do you think that may take? I know that you never know with VA but maybe someone has a general idea?

Assuming that you are a hardship case I would guess about three months.  In my case on remand requiring two new ratings a writ of mandamus was filed and that is the time it took.

That is a wag but that is my guess.

Edited by vetquest

51 minutes ago, vetquest said:

Assuming that you are a hardship case I would guess about three months.  In my case on remand requiring two new ratings a writ of mandamus was filed and that is the time it took.

That is a wag but that is my guess.

Thank you. I was considering filing a writ of mandamus before I got my SOC as I had been waiting over four years. I brought it up to the 1-800 number rep and she gave me the number to the CAVC who gave me information on a writ. While talking to an attorney about possibly filing one, I got my SOC. But I've thought about still filing one for the rest of it to finish. A VA rep put in an inquiry request for me to my regional office to have them send me my notification letter because she said everything was decided but they hadn't sent the letter yet. What does that mean?

@shrekthetank1 @GBArmy @vetquest @GeekySquid

So I just got a call back from my inquiry. My ratings have all been decided. My fibromyalgia was rated at 40% effective to my original claim date 6/1/2013. My mental disorder was rated at 70% effective back to original claim date. The third condition that was newly connected was lower bilateral radiculopothy rated at 20% right and 20% left as of 2/26/2015. So my total combined rating is 100% as of 2/26/2015. And while she didn't say specifically, I gathered from the newly SC conditions and their rating and their ED that before I got 100% as of 2/26/15 I should have been 90% from 6/1/13 to 2/26/15 when I should have been 100%. So she said that my award amount is just being figured and authorized I guess but she is putting me at the front of the line so I can get paid. And then I will get a notification letter breaking down all the ratings and ED. So now I just check my bank account? Hopefully it won't be too long.