VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Permanent and Total from cck-law..com

Rate this topic

• Founder

1:10 What is Permanent and Total Disability?

2:05 Conditions that automatically receive a permanent and total rating (P&T)

2:32 Conditions less likely to receive P&T

4:29 How to find out if your VA rating is permanent

6:03 Is there a VA form to apply for Perm and Total status?

6:39 Viewer Question: If you have permanent and total Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), are you automatically entitled to P&T disability at the VA?

8:03 If you receive Total Disability for Individual Unemployability (TDIU), are you permanent and total?

8:26 The advantages of having Permanent and Total VA Disability Other Protections from VA Rating Reductions

10:26 Stabilized Ratings

11:26 Continuous Ratings

12:57 What to do if VA proposes a rating reduction

16:03 Final Thoughts & Tips

https://cck-law.com/news/newsfaq-friday-permanent-and-total-pt-disability/

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still trying to get the hang of this. 

My C and P examiner stated that my asthma precludes me from any physical occupation. They did find a medical nexus. So does that mean they found me completely disabled? Or is that wording really not of any matter?  

Thanks for this link Tbird.

I can only add one thing- 

“Entitlement to a permanent total disability rating requires a Veteran’s disability to be both permanent and total. 38 C.F.R. § 3.340. Pursuant to VA regulations, a total disability may be established in two ways.

First, total disability will be considered to exist when there is present any impairment of mind or body which is sufficient to render it impossible for the average person to follow a substantially gainful

occupation.  38 C.F.R. § 3.340(a)(1).  Second, a total disability may also be assigned where a Veteran’s service-connected disabilities

are rated 100 percent disabling under the rating schedule. 38 C.F.R. § 3.340(a)(2). Permanence of total disability will be taken to exist when such impairment is reasonably certain to continue throughout the life of the disabled person.  38 C.F.R. § 3.340(b). Diseases and injuries of long standing which are actually totally incapacitating will be regarded as permanently and totally disabling     when the probability of permanent improvement under treatment is remote. Id. The age of the disabled person may be considered in determining permanence. Id.”

Source: Board of Veterans Appeals   

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files6/18107434.txt

I have filed a White House Hot Line complaint on this very description of Permanence, against the Director of the Buffalo VARO.

My husband's autopsy revealed 6 area of ischemic TIA brain damage and major brain stem stroke, and the death certificate revealed it was a contributing cause of his death.An MRI revealed he had "significant brain atrophy, "inconsistent with his age ( he was only 42 when the MRI was done.)

All of my unread evidence , much from VA doctors, supports that he was 100% P & T under 1151 due to the stroke , except the director of my VARO said he was not Permanently disabled by the stroke  at death and that my claim was "OVER".

She had no medical evidence whatsoever for that statement. This was in a phone call she made to me. I told her that neither the veteran and I are unaware of some sort of miraculous stroke CURE the VA performed, yet VA never advised the veteran of it.Her statement goes against all VA case law and certainly all of the medical evidence they VA has.

This issue will be taking up much of my time this coming week. 

I have mentioned this here many times- because I have never heard of anything like this before, and I wonder how many other widows were given the same BS.

Death makes every continuous 100% SC or 1151 as if SC rating- A TOTAL and PERMANENT Rating.

It was never an issue in their 100% P & T award for SC PTSD ,sent posthumously after my husband died.

Edited by Berta

On 7/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, vgorman0306 said:

my asthma precludes me from any physical occupation. They did find a medical nexus. So does that mean they found me completely disabled?

Not in my opinion. It sounds to me that your asthma prevents any physical occupation. It does not prevent any sedentary occupation. 

At your age just try to imagine collecting disability for the next sixty years while sitting on the couch. I think that is a recipe for depression or insanity. I encourage you to get all the disability you are entitled to, but to also find something to do with your life.

10 hours ago, kanewnut said:

Not in my opinion. It sounds to me that your asthma prevents any physical occupation. It does not prevent any sedentary occupation. 

At your age just try to imagine collecting disability for the next sixty years while sitting on the couch. I think that is a recipe for depression or insanity. I encourage you to get all the disability you are entitled to, but to also find something to do with your life.

I’m really not gunning for 100% disability. I do want a career and I’m finally finishing up college after three failed attempts due to my asthma. Thank you for your insight, though! Much much appreciated. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use