Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increasing rating questions.

Rate this question

RAM0311

Question

Good morning everyone,

This is my first post as member, I've read these forums for some time.  But anyways, I'm a former 0311 USMC 2 combat tours in afghanistan, discharged honorably  in 2012.  I initiated my claims and was granted 30% for PTSD with insomnia in 2013, had my re-eval in feb of 2018.  I have been treated with sleep meds and had a few therapy sessions, got back 30%.  I was fearful to appeal because of the horror stories of decreased ratings.  I've read through the different ratings and based on the symptoms it appears I should fall in the 50 percentile range, maybe 70%.   I've been started on SSRI's for my symptoms, I don't seek therapy through the VA because the scheduling is so far out my work schedule is not forgiving and I have to continuously reschedule.  I can post my last C&P exam for reference if that may help if y'all think it is worth investigating an increase.  I read a lot about getting a private medical exam, but I'm not sure where to go, or if that is something my VSO could assist me finding me a good examiner.  The last few years have been very busy between school/work and I have a very ill wife I have to put first.  The years are adding and I feel right now I'm at a good point to get my business taken care of.  I currently have several exams for other items I'm having increased.  I've exhausted my google searches.  I appreciate all your advice, the years of reading in the background of posts has been helpful.

Cheers,

RAM0311

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 hours ago, RAM0311 said:

I guess I'm not sure which exam you are requesting.  I've had two C&P exams, but no other C&P type exams.  I guess I"ll need clarification to which exam you are requesting,

Thanks

Sorry about that.  I was confused for a moment.  I will no do that again, I hope. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ram03111

Your C&P says you have sleep disturbance i.e. sleeping disorder. If you have not ever had a sleep study, I would recommend it and ask your doc to put you in for it. Three reasons: first, it isn't possible for you to get a disability for OSA without taking it to confirm you have it. A sleeping disturbance doesn't necessarily mean you have OSA. Second, and most important for your health, you need to find out. If you stop breathing in the middle of the night, you aren't going to be much good help for you sick wife. Third, your rating is based on a MH condition that the VA feels is capable of improving; that is to say you could be down grated or even lose your disability rating. If you could get another rating, maybe 50% for OSA, it could provide some insurance for you and your family.There are several comments regarding OSA posted here. Research it. But get the sleep study done brother.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just guessing this EXAMINER didn't do you any favors,

This is why I suggested you look into sleep apnea claim  secondary to your PTSD.

If they say you do have sleep apnea and its mild to severe and required medically to use a C-PAP Machine..thats usually a 50% rating.

Your PTSD looks like between 10% and 30%  but that's just based on this C&P Exam, you can get More medical evidence and appeal if your PTSD is less than 30% .

If you have any other conditions that can be Service Connected? file for those too, and check what can be secondary to your PTSD.

This exam should at least rate you 10% for PTSD.