Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P exam - Scheduled at a place I do not want to go to

Rate this question

namvet4

Question

I have a C&P exam scheduled in September at VA Hospital East Orange NJ. I want to change . Person on phone who called to schedule said I can only go to this facility for PTSD claims in NJ! I last went to East Orange over 15 years ago - had a bad experience! How do I get the exam changed???? 

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

you can ask the C&P CHIEF you would like to change the location but you need a good reason?

I would go to this one because its  hard to get a C&P SCHEDULED in the first place..just because you had a bad experience 15 years ago  don't necessarily   mean you will have another bad experience this time around.

but I do understand what you mean..

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

1 hour ago, namvet4 said:

I have a C&P exam scheduled in September at VA Hospital East Orange NJ. I want to change . Person on phone who called to schedule said I can only go to this facility for PTSD claims in NJ! I last went to East Orange over 15 years ago - had a bad experience! How do I get the exam changed???? 

I have had horrible experiences at a VA facility but I don't discount that facility and refuse to go there.  I refuse to see the individual who treated me horribly, but thankfully after 10 years that person is no longer there.  I also choose to not go to one particular clinic at my local VA, I choose to be driven 3 hours to another VA after they could not find me care in the community after my community care provider closed.  That va clinic was subject to an IG investigation in regards to my care and I do not have to be seen there because of that investigation and the horrible care I was given, I am paid travel.  CP exams are a different matter and well I doubt you will find even half of the staff still there from 15 years ago.  I hope you can take someone with you, PTSD exams are never easy but sadly we have to put up with the crap.  If your exam isn't handled well, you can ask for a new exam, always remember that.  I have had to do that in the past for an inadequate exam, I was then given one by an outside vendor.

Remember that only a VA doctor can give a PTSD rating.  They might have only one doctor doing these.  As far as not getting it changed, you still want to go to the exam no matter what.  A missed exam is a denial.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think its up to the Veteran as to where he wants a C&P Exam  if a Veteran has a bad experience with a certain VAMC (Dr) and is having to see the same Dr that  the veteran had a Bad experience with   just ask /request a different VAMC.

As Vetquest mention  you need a VA Dr to make a PTSD Diagnoses 

One time years ago I had a DRO Hearing and this was brought up about not wanting to go back to the VAMC  Dr...the DRO mention that if I was willing to try another VAMC   For another C&P Exam?   I said hell yes sir...anyway I didn't need it but this just goes to she we can request another VAMC with A Different Dr.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

2 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

is this the VAMC your record is listed at? I am assuming that your VARO has more than one Hospital.. is that correct?

GeekySquid ,

I believe that East Orange is my VAMC of record.  The only other hospital that I know of is Lyons Medical. Not a picnic either! I have been going to a local CBOC for treatment. My VARO is in Newark, NJ. 

And thanks to all who have responded so far!