VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taking a Hearing Test

Rate this question

DzrtLvr1

Question

9 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Has anyone ever tried to have an outside ENT/audiologist do this test for an INCREASE in your rating.

getting any comp for hearing is tough to begin with. The VA has stacked the deck in the regs and how things are evaluated.

I know I haven't done an IME/IMO on mine... if the consensus answer to your question is success i might just try it

• HadIt.com Elder

Has anyone ever tried to have an outside ENT/audiologist do this test for an INCREASE in your rating. Wondering if this would also work and the VA accept the findings for an increase say to go from a rating of 10% to say 20% or 30%?

• HadIt.com Elder

Me too Geeky. I read that it is really stacked against you to get any kind of increase unless you are basically deaf. I am rated 10% and man, I can't hear hardly anything. (Since I'm married, that isn't necessarily all bad.)😂

• HadIt.com Elder
10 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

Buck, this is new information to me... did you do this successfully?

I know the Maryland CNC test has multiple versions and the word lists change at some frequency, but I did not know the VA would give you a copy to take to an audiologist. very interesting.

as for reading the numbers from the puretone results, it is like a freaking chinese dinner menu. pick 1 from column A 2 from Column B or substitute and Item in Column 3 for a buck extra.....exhausting to me but I can only guess the Audiology folks consider it basic math.

The CNC is fairly straightforward. The recording says words at different volumes and rhythms into each ear. In my test they were left ear for several words or word pairs, then right ear, then through bone-conduction on each side, then alternating between ears.

In real life I have to lip read to catch most of what someone says so if they are behind me or not looking at me I generally have to say "what?" a lot. This is true even with the hearing aid in. 

The last CNC I took, the baby-audiologist (still a phd student) couldn't seem to grasp that the tinnitus in my right ear was so loud none of the words, spoken or bone conducted, were audible until the volume was cranked to a level near an AC/DC concert. She placed notes to that effect in my record.

Then when I did my latest VNG (waterboarding through the ears) and other tests for Vertigo, the adult-Audiologist (who had years of practice) pointed out to her intern to watch out for that type of misunderstanding of the test results. It literally points to the fact, along with my vertigo, that I have meniere's or Migraine Associated Vertigo because the mechanical function of my vestibular system is measured as normal.

any way not trying to hijack the thread.

Yes I used a  private ENT Board Certified Otolaryngology over a VA ENT Doc that tried his best to server my benefits back to 0% from 50% S.C.at the time.

However this was almost 20 years ago...his Secretary called the VA and ask for the Maryland CNC Word Test  she said they had to pay a fee for it  but was very cooperative and I had her to include that fee with my Medical Bill...(not absolutely sure the VA still does this?

Note* the Veteran needs to let this Dr know your filing a claim and how to word things like the VA likes, just like any other IMO if the Dr is not familiar with the VA Tactics like = least likely as not''    ''is likely as not '' caused or related to''  ect,,ect,,

Most Veterans are better off going to a private board certified Dr like I did  if they get a botch up or unfavorable C&P for hearing loss....the VA's  Equipment is half way worn out and very unreliable for false readings  and they just put down what the chart graft says..

A private IMO from a Respected ENT Board Certified Otolayngology is best to use , they do pediatrics as well as Adults Hearing loss testing and Allergies and other problems of the Ears Nose and Throte 

Now today I am not sure they still do this? I assume they would  if a private Dr called the VA for any information like this  if you share your medical records Back and forth with VA TO Private  or vs Versa.?

Just have to call VA ask them for the Maryland word test CD For your private Dr to use  but its better if the Dr's office calls the VA on this.

I had figured you guys Geeky and GB Army Knew about doing this?

I have mention this to other countless veterans and most are successful with their loss of hearing claims that were occurred by noise induced loud sounds that damage the inner ears  over time from the veterans military active days. MOS or the sounds the veteran was around during his military time.

I recommend Veterans go to a private Dr that specializes in hearing loss and hearing testing  and not just some free hearing clinic that test  and want to sale high priced Hearing Aids...we as Veterans get them at no charge.  and good quality Aids.

Hope this Answers your questions GB Army and Geeky?

4 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Hope this Answers your questions GB Army and Geeky?

It does in a way for me

. I was unaware the VA would give out licensed software... I wonder if they had your Doc order it from the company and just helped them do it.....interesting...

5 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

had figured you guys Geeky and GB Army Knew about doing this?

I did about the IMO just not the VA providing/selling the CNC disc.

getting an increase in hearing has been secondary for me. If you look back I have been carping about the VA not SCing my HL until recently. Now I am working on the EED.

I actually think the VA cue'd itself but the story is complicated and I posted it elsewhere.

In related matters, as I have complained about here too!, my Oto was an geriatric who refused to have a computer in his office. His wife did his computer work.

He made a reference in my exam to something that is an error in my C-File caused by my first C&P. The doc there said in one paragraph that I was in the Air Force and i wasn't. I was Navy. Not a big problem but it crops up every now and then at C&P's and it is a sign the doc at least read my initial C&P results.

Since he said he doesn't use computers I have to guess his wife printed parts or all of my file for him to read. That makes me worry what other pieces of my private information he might have lying around his house or office.

Anyway I am filing a NOD on his C&P because no matter what he did read what he did not read are my medical records that show I have a cerebral gait, vertigo attacks more than 3 times a week, tinnitus & Hearing Loss which is supposed to be rated as Meniere's but since he did not mention them the rater did not even bother to check my file.

I cannot cue him until I get the files, which I have been fighting for since January.