VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU Awarded Back to 2010

Rate this question

IraqVet

Question

I checked e benefits and saw that they changed the status to closed and granted for 100% TDUI on July 03, 2019.....I received a narrative letter from them stating the same info but it did not have the amount of money calculated just that it goes all the way back to November of 2010.

I was already rated 90% combined.....This new award adds 10% seizures, and 100% TDUI.  My question is that the letter mentions chapter 35 benefits, does that mean I am P&T? Also do I receive health insurance, like Champa, or Tricare....forgive me I just really dont know. When I called the VA 1800# and asked them about the letter they sent me they confirmed my award to 100%TDUI, and 10% Seizures, but said that the letter shouldn't have been sent out yet because it was incomplete and did not have the back pay calculated yet and have the proper signatures yet.  

Thanks

David

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Congrats!  As said above, the Chapter 35 reference would indicate that you are P&T.  Your award letter and eBenefits letter should tell you that it is considered permanent.  This will mean your wife and dependents will be qualified to sign up for CHAMPVA.  You can also purchase reasonably-priced "VADIP" dental insurance for them if you wish. 

You won't get CHAMPVA, but you will, of course, have free VA health care for life.  You will also get free VA dental treatment.  

There are also other federal benefits involved, and depending on where you live, you might get some pretty decent state bennies too.  For instance, Texas, where I live, will waive your homestead taxes (which saves me a few thou per year) and give you a nearly-free Disabled Vet license plate for one vehicle.  I also get a free hunting/fishing license.  If your discharge is honorable, you'll all be qualified to get DoD 2765 I.D. cards (assuming you're not a military retiree, in which case you would keep those retiree IDs).  This will give you access to commissaries/exchanges/MWR stuff.

Hopefully you have a good VSO or someone to fill you in and guide your efforts, because all of this won't just automatically happen, there are things you'll have to do.

Regarding CHAMPVA:  they'll also pay back pretty much any out-of-pocket medical costs for wife and kids, I think all the way back to the 2010 Effective Date.  You'll have to gather up the proper billing info and get it to them after you get your family signed up.

In 2020, when you'll reach 10 years of being rated 100%, there will be a DIC benefit for your wife if she outlives you.  (Until the 10-year mark,  DIC happens only IF you should pass due to a service-connected condition.)

I've been going through all of this process recently (still not finished), as I was recently awarded 100% IU back to 2009.  The BVA granted it last August, it took until May for them to get it all sorted out and start paying me retro and the new rate.  It was 9 months and a week, I believe, from the decision to the retro deposits.  Your mileage may vary.  Just hang in there, it will happen in time.  

Edited by acesup