Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Approved- Back Pay

Rate this question

Mcbwv

Question

Claim recently approved-  My effective date is 4 Jan 20019. I received back pay for 7 months on my claim. I understand it starts retro pay from February 1st until now. However it looks like I wasn't paid  for September as if the shorted me a month. Does anyone have any insight on why I was only paid for 7 months?

I also just added my 3 dependents all over 18 but fulltime enrolled in college. How long do these claims take to be added and retro pay?

Sorry for the repeat guys. Im getting conflicting information. My DAV rep told me I couldn't add anyone over 18 without them being disabled themselves. Which is wrong I believe.

My intent was filed 4 Jan 19

Claim sent in 30 May 19

Claim approved 11 Sept 19

I received 7 months of back pay.

You will receive extra money for dependents when you are over 30% and for kids 18 - 23 if they are going to college.

If I could suggest, always give as much information as possible when you ask questions, such as wanting to check on what the DAV rep tells you. The more information we have the better the answer we can give you. JMO

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

32 minutes ago, Mcbwv said:

Sorry for the repeat guys. Im getting conflicting information. My DAV rep told me I couldn't add anyone over 18 without them being disabled themselves. Which is wrong I believe.

My intent was filed 4 Jan 19

Claim sent in 30 May 19

Claim approved 11 Sept 19

I received 7 months of back pay.

https://www.va.gov/disability/add-remove-dependent/\

Who does VA consider a dependent?

A dependent is:

• A spouse (Note: we recognize same-sex and common-law marriages)
  • A parent, if you’re directly caring for them and their income and net worth are below a certain amount
  • An unmarried child (including an adopted child or stepchild) who meets one of the eligibility requirements listed below

To be considered a dependent, one of these must be true of an unmarried child. They:

• Are under 18 years old, or
  • Are between the ages of 18 and 23 years old and enrolled in school full time, or
  • Became permanently disabled before they turned 18

Im currently rated at 70%. I just copy and pasted the exact same information from the VA website and sent it to my DAV rep. I believe I may have offended him correcting his misinformation. All three kids are fulltime college students. I would think a DAV rep would know this?

4 minutes ago, Mcbwv said:

believe I may have offended him correcting his misinformation.

do you really care if his feelings are hurt?

5 minutes ago, Mcbwv said:

I would think a DAV rep would know this?

you will learn....they don't know a quarter of what they are supposed too... or at least many don't, I don't want to insult all VSO's....some are good people who know a lot and help a lot.

41 minutes ago, Mcbwv said:

I believe I may have offended him correcting his misinformation.

I am with Geeky here...the DAV rep needs to get over it if he is offended. He needs to realize he gave wrong information and this may cause you to loose out on $100s of dollars each month. So if he is offended I would not worry about it!!!.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.