Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Taken after receiving over 20 years

Rate this question

Karen C

Question

I was receiving disability from the VA from 1991 until 2016, when in February 2016 I didnt receive my check.  I called the VA and was told that I have a warrant (unpaid court costs, misdemeaner) in PA (I live in New Mexico).  The warrant was from 2007; when I did live there, however, I was not aware that I even had this warrant.  And I was told by the VA rep on the phone that I was a "fleeing felon" according to the VA, and would not be getting my disability back.  So, I found on the Internet in Jan 2019, that the VA has a 5yr rule, 10yr rule, and so on.  So, I had been receiving my disability (40% rating) since 1991.  So, was the VA wrong or correct in taking my disability.  I cant see how they could legally take away my disability, for unpaid court costs, and that the warrant was from 2007.

• HadIt.com Elder

If this is true I would advise this veteran to seek an experience attorney  and fight for my benefits  to be reinstated to my full rating percent, unless the VA says you will get what we give you (1/2 of your benefits will be taken away and reinstated)  if there going to give your benefits back  why just 50%???

Also I am not 100% sure but  a person who is accused or convicted or self admits to the crime ....> see an experience law attorney and get these charges off public record the attorney can have these records closed  by being  expunge  and seal only to ever to be open by a federal court  judge for a more serious crime like murder.

Too simple,

http://www.pacourts.us/public-records/court-case-information

Almost every state has a court case information site.  Just plug in your name and see what's up.  It will even tell you if there was any recent activity.

My state, WI, even has a drop down on the bottom to pay your fine online.

Also, the county that you lived in, in PA, will most surely have a "persons with warrants" list on it somewhere.  

Lastly, most assuredly, you were served with a warrant, unless you moved right after you committed (or didn't) the offense.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Me thinks the crime was more than a traffic ticket.  And I would be looking over my shoulder for a skip tracer, especially, if the court system went to the trouble of contacting the VA to stop compensation.

I not sure, but I don't think the VA overtly researches states court records to find offenders.  But, now with world wide data-bases and data in the "cloud', it would not surprise me that he Gov, VA, would not reach out with algorithms to find ways to preserve funds.

FWIW,

Hamslice.

13 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

If this is true I would advise this veteran to seek an experience attorney  and fight for my benefits  to be reinstated to my full rating

Spot on.  I cannot imagine waiting three years to do so.

• HadIt.com Elder
1 minute ago, GeekySquid said:

Spot on.  I cannot imagine waiting three years to do so.

Yeah  this is what makes this story hard to believe  they have to be more to it than what the OP mention ....> a more serious crime.

As Hamslice mention something other than traffic tickets

Hamslice is a Police Officer and was MP in military(I think) forgive me Hamslice if I got it wrong? 

Anyway Hamslice would have more experince to this type story  than most of us....that's not in Law Enforcement.

Now that I read it again (I need to read them more closely) I can completely agree with the comments above. Most would not wait three years to try and recover stopped VA checks. I know I would have been all over it within 24 hours if I did not receive my check.

But there again I would have showed up in court and payed my fines.