VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When do you file for SSD

Rate this question

Doc8482M8404

Question

I’m currently 90% VA disabled but I have other issues that are not service connected. Basically from my waste down is service connected and my upper body is not.  I’m have a SCD nerve stimulator implanted into my lumbar, post recovery the neurosurgeon said he would evaluate my neck, non service connected, for a second implant  stimulator. 
I’m 53 is it time ?

5 answers to this question

Yes it is time.  I was 45 when I lost my job due to service connected disability, I filed for SSD at the same time I filed my VA claim.  The SSD payments helped me over in the ten years before the VA declared me fully disabled.  If you have been at 90% for some time I would also file for TDIU or unemployability.  If you are no longer able to work this is what SSD is all about if you have enough credits to file, if you do not have the credits you can file for SSDI.

I think when your at 50 SSA finds less jobs for you to be able to do and this is key because SSA loves to go after what they think you can do however when your at your age it gets more difficult to prove you can make enough to be considered gainfully employed. SSA and VA system does not see eye and eye, one system might say your unemployable and the other will show you a list of jobs out there in the national economy that you can do.

Where you referring to SSI? or SSDI because there are 2 different programs, i assume you mean social security disability.

With SSDI which is what you put in over years you most verify you have enough work credits (see SSA.GOV) you can also log into this website and verify if you have enough credits. Anyway what to watch out for is with SSDI if you apply the timer starts ticking leaving you only 5 years to go through the process or processes or the insurance expires and you'll have to work=generated credits again (that's like 10 more years of work).

Yes social security disability (SSD) I’ve been paying into this for 40 years. 
and my wife says it’s past time to file because she doesn’t want to have a limp vegetable to push around in a wheel chair 

Apply yesterday.  When would you like to start receiving SSD payments?  2 years?  5 years?  20 years?   The sooner you apply, the sooner you can be awarded.  SSD, if denied, can also be a long wait for appeals.  I wish I would have applied for SSD at least 5 years before I did.   This assumes, of course, you meet their criteria for being disabled, and I have no idea about that.  As long as you can continue to work, do so.  But, when unable to work, apply.