BVA Grant Wait time....

Rate this question

LJM

Question

March 2010 claims filed 

2011 NOD 

Jan 8, 2019 BVA Judge

June 10 - 4 grants, 3 remands, 3 denials 

This whole wait is because the Atlanta RO couldn’t determine whether my husband, a SSG in 1st RGR BN ever served in combat for service connection. Baffles me to this day. Nonetheless, almost a decade into this I am finding that the retro for the grants will take at least another year or more. I am curious as to anyone who can shed some light on their experience and or timeline. 
We do not have a lawyer. The American Legion is who represented him. We were told law offices slow you down in the process by many veterans. The American Legion has sent his denials to a law firm that has contacted to help with that part of the BVA decision. We have contacted them to see if they have any insight to a timeline on the grant decisions and they said no. All leads resort back to the general Atlanta RO and they are never helpful. 
Thank you for taking your time to read this. 

• Adminstrator
2 minutes ago, LJM said:

He and I will be doing all of the above. Thanks to all of you! 
I have this fear that once we email the FL and have the congressman involved the VARO is going to get angry and rate him lower than they should. I really hope they don’t. I want to think the person rating cares about veterans and their lives. 

Some times they do not, but the only way to win is to fight them.  The way they can hide it is if there is no light shed on it.  When they get the spot light they typically back off.  

Also you will typically get a new RO from another state as mine was Phoenix which I am in Omaha.  So you probably wont get them again 

Edited by shrekthetank1

I called the 800# for my husband quite a few times- he had to give them permission to talk to me first and then they talked to me.

LJM the work you have done to help your husband is so Commendable!

Us spouses are often the biggest asset they have , when dealing with VA. Even if we don't understand the whole process ( and I am glad you did ask so many questions,) spouses are there to give them encouragement when VA denies their claims. .....And the encouragement to fight back.

Not all spouses want to get involved with or help with their vet's VA issues. I can't understand that ,because , if the vet succeeds, it benefits the whole family.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

That is so kind of you to say. Thank you. I agree with you completely. My husband doesn’t want to do all this, lol. He’s hit his limit with having to prove he even had his military career. It’s very hard at times to get through the days with a. Veteran spouse, but he’s my veteran spouse and I’ll do anything I can. Always. 

• HadIt.com Elder

It usually doesn't work that way. Besides, if he is rated lower than he should be, that is what appeals are for. Be positive! Otherwise, you're gonna drive yourself knutz!

GBArmy

I have driven myself crazy already. The past couple years alone I have tried to decipher percentages and back pay and what types of percentages one might get for this or that. I just worry about him because he’s a private person who uses his few close military/veteran friends and exercise as forms of therapy. So for PTSD alone the judge wrote a whole page just on that grant after they talked. I know it was hard for him to even talk to him about the few things he could fit in their hearing. 
We have heard from many people that you must be seeing a psychologist and take all these drugs. He won’t do that. Probably ever. 
I’ve spent a lot of time trying to decipher how they choose a rating for certain claims. And yes, it will consume you. So, I’m just going to wait and see what the ratings are for the grants and we will take it from there. 
I appreciate this forum because you all completely understand because you have lived it. And I commend you all for bravery. 

3 hours ago, LJM said:

GBArmy

The past couple years alone I have tried to decipher percentages and back pay and what types of percentages one might get for this or that. 

Now just imagine if you're retired military. It's double speak to the 3rd power.

I have a spreadsheet in open source software Libra Office, free to download.  Where it shows my main disabilities and what % I should be rated at. It simple because it could turn into something very sophisticated from everything. And at that point you might as well change your name to Daniel Jackson and join the "star gate" project.