VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Daughter of Vet-I have Chloracne BAD-Is there help for me?

Rate this question

Daughter with Chloracne

Question

My father served in Vietnam 1969-1975, he was exposed to Agent Orange when it was sprayed to knock the jungle down-he reported the outbreak of Chloracne to the doctors at the VA, he got it on his back-most of his back. He had my first older sister who got it on her face, back and arms. My second oldest sister only got it on her chin. My identical twin and I got it really BAD, we had it on our face, backs, necks, chests, behind our ears, sometimes in our groin too-we had to take a 9 month course of Accutane back in 1994-1995. It cleared until we had our kids, mine came back with a vengeance so bad I had to get back on Accutane (generic version) just a few years ago, on for 6 months-off for 2, back on for 6 months. I have been sickly most of my life. My bones have always hurt, but it is much worse now, began getting really bad when I was 30, I have lesions in my brain, degenerating disc disease, peripheral neuropathy, arthritis all over my body, and many other issues-my daughter was born with a premature fusion in her skull and had to have skull surgery to save her life-is there help for kids of vets or grandkids? My father was denied by the VA back in the 80s when he attempted to get help, it wasn't as bad for him as it's been for me and my twin-I'm terrified my kids are going to get this terrible skin condition, for years between the ages of 12-15 I prayed every night I would die in my sleep-the sores on our backs were EXCRUCIATING, I have pictures of then and pictures of now-no dermatologist has seen anything like it. The Accutane has given me it's own side effects, it has encouraged the extreme pain all over my body to hurt more, my joints to ache sharper, my eyes hurt so much...please please say there is help for us-if not, please tell me how to set it up so we can get help. Daddy is in his 70s now, he won't live forever, he deserves the benefits so many others deserve and have NOT gotten, I am trying to help him, and we are also paying for is exposure to this toxic chemical, I cannot believe how forgotten our veterans are about this, I have suffered over 25 years because of that extreme acne...any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I pray this isn't a repeat, but if it is, I do apologize. Thank you for letting me be part of your community, I think what you're doing to help each other is so very awesome. God Bless.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, by the way, since you are so knowledgeable about AO here on Hadit, you might want to touch base with Jerry Wright also. He might have some contacts or resources you can share. He is an terrific advocate for veterans with AO issues himself.

Does he have any other disabilities?

Can you scan and attach here his last denial, to include the evidence list?

(Cover his C file #, name, address prior to scanning it.But we need to see the date)

Edited by Berta

• Lead Moderator

First off I am so sorry you and your siblings have suffered so much.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-children-of-agent-orange 

Here is a good article about what you are talking about.  I am not familiar with offspring, but I can't believe they would not.  I have been wrong before.

I am sure others here can help you and I really want to know the answer to these questions.

Hang in there as I am sure they can help your dad!

• HadIt.com Elder

I, too are sorry for your whole family. There is a new bill , Agent Orange Exposure Fairness Act of 2019 recently endorsed by DAV and AMVETS to remove the time constraints for several Agent Orange diseases. It is by Rep. Joe Courtney from Ct. His office has a lot of info on the subject. There is a Vietnam Veteran named Jerry Wright from Andover Ct. who has championed this cause, going across country,  calling attention to this injustice. He is the most knowledgable layperson I know about the subject. I only have his cell phone, but if you message me, I can provide it. He may know of an avenue for help, like medical studies, etc. 

The txt of the bill GBArmy mentioned is here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/332/text?format=txt&r=42&s=1

It is geared solely to Vietnam veterans.But, by all means, contact the man GBArmy will refer you to.

By using the internet and the Propublica link above, you might be able to contact others who are willing to provide some current information to you=but the VA link above shows what birth defects they will compensate and the VA does not consider Chloracne a birth defect.

The VA link also contains the criteria for service connection of the birth defects and it is a rigid criteria to fall into.

I only know of three veterans with Chloracne from AO- and it has always been very difficult  (due to the time restraint the bill hopes to correct) for those veterans to attain compensation.Only one of them has.

I strongly suggest that your father file a claim, if he has any AO presumptive disability- and he might have more than one.

The current list of these disabilities is here:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/

What disability was he denied for?

Edited by Berta