VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU and State Unemployment Comp

Rate this question

Patrick2020

Question

Hi everyone,  my anxiety has been steadily increasing since thinking about this topic today.  I was recently award TDIU but have been on unemployment compensation with the state.  I haven’t claimed unemployment comp since being awarded TDIU, but do I need to worry about receiving the unemployment comp prior to being granted TDIU?

Any support with this would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I don’t believe so I mean it has to deal with your civilian employment not your military history. I was receiving unemployment while I was rated at 90% because I was laid off due issues relating from my disability that they said was because it was the company was downsizing so as not to be brought into a lawsuit. 

If you have not gotten unemployment since you have been awarded TDIU this is a smart thing.  Unemployment is listed as income on your taxes.  So as long as you do not exceed the federal poverty level it should be ok, one can never be too sure as to the VA's actions though.  Now that you are awarded TDIU, have you worked enough to be able to get social security disability?  You can file for this if you have, otherwise I would file for SSDI.  Social security and the VA work under different regulations but an award of TDIU usually will be enough to get social security.  Sometimes you will get one and not the other (TDIU/SSI or SSDI) but usually they complement each other.

In my state, in order to get unemployment, you have to state:

"YES, IM ready, willing and ABLE to go to work".  

However, to get tdiu a doctor has to say you are UNABLE to work due to sc conditions.  

As far as I know this is binary..either or.  You are either ABLE to work, or unable to work.  If you are able to work, then you qualify for umemployment.  But if you are UNable to work, (as evidenced by a doctor) then you would qualify for TDIU but NOT qualify for unemployment.  

You may need to ask your doctor about this..you need his opinion anyway.  Ask him if you are ABLE to work or unable.  

If you are able to work, then seek unemployment until you get a job.  

If you are UNABLE to work, then apply for tdiu.  But dont tell the state unemployment office you are able to work and then tell the va you are unable.  You cant be both at the same time.  

I have been a member since Forever I had no idea what this was until the last place I was fired from said somethin to me about it...