Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Hearing Exam

Rate this question

GrampsTed

Question

Hello,  I recently had an exam for bilateral hearing loss. What the exam consisted of was some sort of pressure test on each ear, then a pure-tone test, and lastly a test with all two-syllable spondee words, such as 'baseball', 'cowboy', 'airplane', 'birthday', etc, probably around 20 words. All of these tests were done with what felt like an in-the-ear device; none were performed with over-the-ear headphones. I estimate the entire battery of tests took around 20  -25 minutes, if that.

A friend of mine was tested for bilateral hearing loss a month before mine and at a different location. He stated that his test included a Maryland CNC word list that consisted of fifty one syllable words, and that his battery of tests took around 45 minutes.

I am 63 years old and he is 48, and we both served at different time frames, mine in the early 80's and his in the mid-90's. I am curious what other people experience when they go in for the same tests. Also, from what I have read about the proper procedure, I should have also done a one syllable word test. I'm not sure about the headphones vs. in-ear phones. I haven't found any specific information on that.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

GrampsTed

I don't think the types of words asked/used  is anything to be concerned about, nor the amount of time they took. There is probably minimum standards that they have to comply with and as long as they meet the minimums, it should be fine. If you don't believe, however, that the test was performed the way it should have or with inadequate or incorrect equipment, you can contact the RO and ask for a re-do. That is completely up to you. It is also possible that your RO could agree or not. A re-do doesn't necessarily result in better results for you. As an alternative, you might wait until your decision letter comes out and if you are denied, submit a appeal thru HLR with your facts. Be aware however, that hearing test results have to be really bad in order to get a rating better than 0% or 10% nowdays. The fact that you served in the 80's doesn't enter into it.

Thanks for your reply GBArmy!

To my thinking, a two syllable spondee would be easier to discern than a word such as 'fog,' 'cat', 'rub', etc. This afternoon I found information on the test, and it appears they are supposed to use 50 words from the Maryland CNC word list. I'm not taking this as gospel just yet, because the internet if filled with false information and contradictions.

I do agree that a person's hearing has to be really bad to even get 10%. I'm fairly certain my hearing is not that bad.  I applied for tinnitus, and was told by the representative at the regional office to go ahead and apply for bilateral hearing loss too. So, that's how I ended up applying for it, it wasn't like I thought I had it bad enough to get compensated.

I also checked my mail this afternoon and was surprised to see my determinations were in. I did not expect them till tomorrow, but they must have came in yesterday. I did get the tinnitus awarded, as it is almost a given from my MOS in aviation. My ears have been constantly ringing since my time of working the flight-line, but I never knew about any compensation from it until recently. I also got the bilateral hearing loss awarded, although at 0%. They stated my speech discrimination is 100%, and I know that to be incorrect. I say 'huh' way too much, and do have a problem discerning certain words.

In essence, I do not believe the test was performed per standards, although I might be wrong. I do not think I will get awarded for bilateral hearing loss, but do not want to if I am not entitled to it. I had another friend tell me today to make sure they do it correctly, so I will have a correct base to go off of if my hearing deteriorates in the future. I'm not really sure if that would matter or not. What I will do is request the actual documentation from the exam, and then go to my RO and see what they say. Thanks again for your reply!

VA ratings are based on the Maryland CNC testing.  Did they fit you with hearing aids?  

If you feel the test was inadequate, then you could go elsewhere to have the test repeated and compare the results from both exams.  

Private audiologists frequently do exams at no charge, OR you could go to another VAMC and also ask for an appointment to check your hearing.  

If there is a discrepency between your old test and the new one, you can appeal the decision, or apply for an increase.  

If you post your audiogram, I can look at it and see if I think a zero percent rating is proper.  Dont put your name, or address on your public post.  

Or, if you know your CNC average loss, I can figure that out for you.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I would ask for another Hearing test  you feel this one was inadequate.

Also during or before they do the testing   (especially the VA) when you hear the audiologist start to talk to you through the headphones   he/she is suppose to ask you if you can hear them well enough to understand the commandes they make?

..if you can't this is your only chance to let them know you can't hear them well enough ...then the audiologist will increase the volume so that you do hear the sounds   and they start with that volume  you let them know  your most  comfortable with during the testing and increase it as the test begins  usually the  tone sounds where you raise your hand when you hear them or says YES..Each time they play a sound /tone  and you hear it you let them know,  they record that level of sound....but keep in mind at the beginning you had to tell them to turn the sound up so you could hear their commands....

the level of sounds you hear are increased as they go   like 1000.hz 2000 hz 3000hz 4000 hz 5000hz 6000hz  you might have had to start at the 3000hz level...if so that would more than likely show you do have a hearing problem at least 10%

Also during the Maryland CNC Word test...you repeat exactly the word you hear  even if you can't make it out  just repeat what you think you heard  if it's right or wrong,   the Audiologist will know what to do  example  if they say   ''say the word dog''  if you have problems with what people say   and you think the audiologist said to say the word Hog  then say the word Hog  if they say the word Boy  and you think they said say the word troy  then say troy  ect,,,ect,,  they base their testing on the number of words you get wrong...just remember to say the word what you think it is   never hesitate or say you don't know   just simply say what you think you hear rather it's right or wrong.

I took a test one time at the VA and I thought the Audiologist (young female)  said say the word ''Itch''  I said Bitch  she started laughing at me  I said whats wrong? why you laughing  she said its ok Mr Smith we can continue the word test...she told me after the test   she said but that's fine you were correct telling me what you thought you was hearing.   it just goes to show your honesty with them  and some times I guess it is funny to others when we truefully can't hear what is said and say what we thought was said.

if you feel this test was inadequate by all means go to the C&P OFFICE ask or request another test be given to you.

Do not let a botch up VA Hearing test take away your rightful benefit.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Thanks for your replies broncovet and Buck52.

I am fairly certain that the test I received was not in adherence to VA guidelines, even though it was set up by a VA contractor VES, at the request of the VA.  I also doubt if I am impaired enough for compensation,  but I do not believe my speech discrimination is 100% as shown on the test results. I am awaiting a call or email from the regional office, so maybe they will be able to tell me more about it. If they aren't sure, I will push the issue until I can speak to somebody who can tell my why there were huge differences in tests between myself and a friend of mine. I'm pretty sure I should have been given a 50 word test with one syllable words. Here are the results I was given, but I would think there would be a more detailed report than this, showing each word I repeated and etc. I will request all documentation they are able to give me from the provider. She offered me nothing, and just told me we were done whenever the tests were complete.

Left ear
500 hz = 25
1000 hz = 30
2000 hz = 30
3000 hz = 55
4000 hz = 60

Right ear
500 hz = 25
1000 hz = 35
2000 hz = 35
3000 hz = 50
4000 hz = 55