Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange time-bomb went off ...

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

First off I am a Vietnam ERA vet and never served in VN nor the blue waters of VN. My AO contact came from MCAS El Toro and it hit me like a time-bomb!

Currently I am 90% P&T which mostly stems to my R knee and an injury I received in the Corps. However I have had issues that are now surfacing that are not from my knee, but I believe because of my contact with TCE. 

I was the 'first' woman flight crew capt., although I had the duties, women did not have an 'official' MOS as such. Never-the-less I came into contact with cleaning solvents for jet parts. As well it is widely known that we sprayed the flight decks with AO to get rid of vegetation.  

Hypertension was diagnosed by the VA in 1998. In 2009 I started having heart issues, and had to have a stint. And again in 2012 another stint. In late 2017 I had a heart attack and early in 2018 I had a disc go out and render me helpless causing my drop foot.

The V.A., allowed me to see an outside cardiologist, who concurred I had the heart attack and scheduled me for a stress test, which I did not pass. Subsequently, in August, I was hospitalized and had a quad-by-pass. Just this month, the by-pass failed and I had to have 8 stints placed. This last week, because of no comms between VA and public hospital (choice), I went home without meds and had another heart attack, needing one of those stints replaced. 

I have an upcoming C&P for the issues attached. I had included my heart and hypertension, due to my AO contact, who btw I was informed by a V.A. x-ray tech to check my duty stations for AO contamination ... NOT MY PRIMARY! 😡 

Since 2018 I have to have the assistance of another person to get around. I was enrolled VR independent Living Program, who sent out an Industrial Psychologist to my home who, among other recommendations suggested I needed Aid and Attendance as well as someone to come in and help with household chores.

Since my heart is new, I have had to file a Supplemental claim to these additional claims. I opened it with 'new' evidence from my cardiologist which clearly states I have Ischemic heart disease.

Curious if folks that did not serve in VN get AO connected?

Any idea where I might fall on the SMC chart? That is so difficult to figure. I have loss of use of my left foot, as I have been told that a 'foot drop' diagnosis hold that place. I have degenerative disc disease and am just now seeing a Neurologist, my accident occurred 02/2018 and left me paralyzed for two weeks and the residual foot.

I am not sure how they would rate my heart, or if they would, as I did not serve in VN.

Thoughts?

issues.png

Edited by WomanMarine
clarity

UPDATE: C&P completed.

I think it went well ... Fortunately I was in a 'flare-up' and it was noted.

I was also told that the C&P docs cannot refer to it as Agent Orange ... It has to be referred to as a 'herbicide' ...

Doc was also impressed that I survived so many heart proceedures ... 🙄 And she sided that the vets should be told if VA knows they have been exposed ... to a herbicide.

Fingers crossed on the SAH grant as I want to build a 'Dude Ranch' for 'herbicide' survivors ... I have a social worker coming to my home this month for VR ILP. My five acres sits on an 18 acre private lake. Pretty sure I will be 100% after this last C&P and would like to setup a non-profit to help victims of 'herbicide' exposure. Also checking out the V.A. medical 'Foster' home program. 😎 It only makes sense for my particular situation, as I live alone am and pretty sure I will be getting Aid and Attendence as it has been suggested by my last ILP doctor.  It only makes sense as one can do just as much for two or three 🤗

https://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/pages/Medical_Foster_Homes.asp

Edited by WomanMarine
Added link

One other note ... ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE

The conversation about AO and herbicide was brought up because of me asking my Cardiologist to put in his letter to my primary that I suffered from ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE. He laughed at me and said "of course you suffer from IHD' ... I told him I knew but V.A. would not put it in writing. My letter starts off ... Due to your ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE ... 

VA is going to love dealing with 'outside' drs ... 😜

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Wow, that's crazy. Let's see... I had a heart attack and was diagnosed with coronary artery disease (CAD). My life was saved by a non-VA hospital. The day after I was released from the non-VA hospital, I went to see my VA primary care doc and brought my discharge notes. They entered CAD into my master problem list promptly.

Medical evidence speaks for itself. How in the world are they supposed to know if the treatment they provide might be contraindicated for a condition if they don't open their eyes to the evidence in front of them? Here's the irony. Even knowing this, they continued to prescribe medication that was contraindicated for CAD. Luckily, it made me ill and I was able to make the connection before it killed me. They should have done this proactively.

Glad you are not giving up.

V.A. has scheduled another C&P for my heart. This time it is with a V.A. examiner who was unaware of my recent heart issues. This will be interesting, as these folks, in the past, have doubted my issues. 

Prior to that I have a Voc Rehab Independent Living counselor coming to my home. I am trying to get a SAH grant to finish building my home. I would like to add on a few extra bedrooms and become a Medical Foster Care home for veterans that have Agent Orange related issues. I think my property is a peaceful place to make ones 'last stand' ... so to speak. 😎

Lake2.JPG

Edited by WomanMarine
clarity

• HadIt.com Elder

WomanMarine I wish you good luck on your quest for a VA grant for your "Dude Ranch." Why not go for it. Asknod may have some advise on applying for the grant; message him.

Well got my anwser from VA ☹️

"Per VAVBA/CO/211/AGENT ORANGE 1/9/2020:
DoD HAS NOT identified any location on El Toro Marine Corps Air Station,California, where Agent Orange was used, tested, stored, or transported."

Wow I hate the VA 😕