Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Collecting unemployment while applying for tdiu

Rate this question

Newdisabledvet

Question

My unemployment compensation runs out in April. I am applying for tdiu. I am unable to find work because i failed a fitness for duty and was terminated. This has all been reported to the VA. 

Will collecting unemployment hurt my chances of tdiu? I have been ruled unable to work or unemployable by my doctors. This was also submitted to the VA.  i have to make ends meet i have continued to collect this money while going thru the process of applying for tdiu. 

• HadIt.com Elder
  1. 9 hours ago, Newdisabledvet said:

i am hoping it all comes at ok. My 70% was awarded quickly within 90days. The termination letter and the summary of why i failed the fitness test states i am unable to perform my job due to my current mental status. I am hoping with the 3 letters as well as std Ltd and intermittent fmla with all the dates I missed work. 

Here is hoping it all comes out my way. The 5 docs who say i can't work now will make it a little easier.

I will keep adding as i go thru this process. 

With 70% an one at least 40% you are presumptive.  The BVA Judge will give it to you.  But the Rating Officer may make you jump through that hoop to get it because of the VA's use of the "time value of money."  If they hold you off until next year or even longer they will pay with cheaper dollars.

So to answer your question no it won’t hurt you Two different programs it won’t be easy or a short process for anything to say at the least the VA. I was awarded TDIU P and T and had to work while I waited to keep a roof over my families head. I have to say I think I was actually just fired from job 6 before they awarded me that due to my memory issues and safety precautions. We all have hardships and money needs your taking care of yourself it won’t be used again you might have to explain your job history at a C and P but not UE which you paid into....

• HadIt.com Elder

Part of mine is waiting 4-5 months for a HLR (higher level review). Thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, Lemuel said:

Part of mine is waiting 4-5 months for a HLR (higher level review). Thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease.

I submitted the box rehab first form on it my doc said no maybe in 2 years.  But under it the question is asked what will happen with therapy and she stated will get better. With no therapy regression. 

I hope it helps with my tdiu case. I also submitted my SSA summaries as evidence. I have submitted about 80 pages of evidence. 

I think i will have to do a higher level review when the denial comes thru.