VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No lawyer is agreeing to work on my grandpas case

Rate this question

sammiejean

Question

My grandpa passed away in 2013 and because of this my mom has not been able to find a lawyer to take his case. We believe that his claim was denied and we were trying to appeal it with a CUE to give my grandmother benefits. Does anyone know any lawyers that would take the case. I live in Pennsylvania. Thank you

The decision to "lawyer up" or not, is a very personal and indivdual one, and depends on the circumstances.  Im convinced "its the only good choice" for some, but others "could" represent themselves but only if they are motivated, persistent, studious, in good enough health, and patient.   The OP seemed to have already made that decision, and I really dont know their life, but have to assume its a good decision.  I agree, however, that the choice of "which lawyer" is equally as important as whether or not to lawyer up.  Im fairly confident that, if those attorney's I listed "did not feel" the client would benefit from their services, they would not represent them, and would direct them to someone who could, indeed, help them.  Ken Carpenter, Chris Attig, or CCK law..are not wolves waiting to attack defenseless widows, and swallow them whole.  I do think its important that I pick great advisors for my wife..that would honestly lead her in the right direction after my death.  And my number one pick?  You, Berta.  

My father had a "entire symphony orchestra" of people he trusted for advice.  Bankers, insurance, tax advisors, lawyers.  They all looked up to him.  He had a sixth grade education and really very had little trouble outsmarting doctors.  These people would often visit us..with their family.  So I got to know them also.  I guess most people understand that a president always has a whole slew of advisors on almost everything.  My father was a great leader and would have made an excellent president.  

As a former financial planner (many, many, many years ago), I can tell you that often the difference between a widow "being broke" and financially secure is often financial planning.  Of course this includes familiarity with DIC and widows benefits.  

I can tell you that my wife:

1.  Has no clue.

2.  Isnt even 1percent interested in finding out.  

Its 100 percent up to me to ensure she is provided for.  I can tell you this is NOT my idea.  However, I would have better luck in changing the weather than changing her attitude about that.  I have to accept who she is, she certainly has to accept many undesirable characteristics I have.  I "take care" of 100 percent of the "finances", and this is by mutual agreement.  

If I talk to her about finances, numbers, etc. etc.  she mentally puts on headphones and listens to her favorite music while I do all the talking.  She then "takes off her" headphones and says, "Whatever you think".  Her eyes would "glaze over" if I said the terms DIC, taxes, bollinger bands, insurance, or any other term that has anything to do with finances/taxes/insurance/investments/retirment planning, as if I was speaking Chinese.  If I explained these terms she would nod "uh-huh..whatever you say", and not get the explanation either.  

What I have done is, in my life insurance "folder" I told her exactly, step by step, what to do.  It includes going to see my VSO office and "apply for DIC".  I also have  to explain that "DIC" is not an abbreviation for any male parts with a similar sounding name.  I have also informed her to go on my hadit account and get you, Berta, as I know you would lead her right.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'll bet that s a better plan than a lot of us have. If you have a spouse, you have to have a plan that can be followed. Put a "to do" list in the Folder.

• Lead Moderator

So I have the same type of issue where my wife takes care of all the finances, but she has no idea how to complete my claim.  I have written out instructions if that day does come to file for DIC, because she has no idea what to do.  We have talked about it and she rolls her eyes like that day will never come.  So like Bronco said above you have to lay them out a road map so they are ok after you leave.  

I think it is easier for those of us who have had to look death in the face and know you might not come home.  It is very sobering, but also makes it so you think about things when you are gone.  I know she will be ok after I am gone now, so I have that piece of mind.

Also widows and widowers of vets need financial plans as well, because adult children who survive a AO vet and also the AO vet's widow are often eligible under Nehmer for some VA benefits-such as potential accrued- etc.....

I have waited for 15 years to help BWN vets with the AO situation and still thousands of them and their survivors, to include their adult children, if they are deceased and if no surviving spouse , are unaware of this monumental new regulation, signed int law last year for any BWN veterans whose ship is on the AO ships list from VA, or whose Ship logs show their ship to have been within the 12 mile coastal limit of Vietnam during the War.VA has paid out a lot of retro already to those vets who were denied for an AO presumptive in the past and fall under HR 299 now,but I bet they missed plenty of those claims because they sure did in 2010.

I have a folder with lots of stuff in it for my prime beneficiary.It includes the Insurance policies and the banks I deal with and photos of how my PC and modem are hooked up, as well as my TVs, how the hoses are hooked up, and even a photo I took when my  septic tank was cleaned out  last time, of where the lid is under some lightweight concrete  tiles I made a small patio area with. My septic man said many call him when they need a clean out,  but don't really know where their septic tank lid is. I also have in there how the electric works, how the hot tub works,and how to turn off the main electric box to the house. As well as the propane tanks, in event of a propane leak.

There is a lot to owning and maintaining a home but it is something ,easier to share with a spouse than doing it alone.But it still has to be done if one lives alone. I have a farm too and that is another consideration for my beneficiary.I only deal with a local dairy farmer who works my land for crop rotations but something my prime beneficiary , my daughter, will also have to deal with. I need to advise my church also of my wishes. I dont want a Memorial Service, I want them to have an ice cream and cake party when I die and my last donation to the church will certainly be more than enough for that.My cemetery deed at the local VA cemetery is with the other stuff, but my daughter might instead want to take my cremains home with her.I still have cremains from my husband here but most are at the Bath VA Cemetery where he wanted to be buried.

My licence has a little heart on it, to reveal to EMS ,if I am killed in a car accident, or die of any other cause,that I am an organ donor,like my husband was. We have done many End of Life shows here at hadit-in the radio podcasts  and this is something everyone needs to think about.Hope you all have DNRs or End of Life directives.