VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I have an IBS question

Rate this question

ronnieusmc0311

Question

Hello, My question is, How do I go about getting my IBS service connected?

I just went through my SMR and found that in 2009 I was experiencing "Fever, chills, and the inability to hold down food" after Eating. My wife prepared food and I ate, felt sick and vomited for hours. Mind you, none of my family got sick. Then when I was on Deployment to the Gulf (USS Bonhomme Richard LH-6) I had Acute Gastroenteritis (thats whats labeled on the paper) after departing from Thailand a month prior, we ended up in the Gulf Of Aden. Then in 2015 when I had already got out, I had a stomach issue which resulted in me being constipated and bloated for 2 months which is documented in a Private Medical file from my old PCP. Ever since the issue on Deployment I have suffered with gas, pain, and bloating which also causes Acid Reflex/ Gerd (which the VA denied me for). That is all the records I have. Where do I go from here? Thank you.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There are 3 main elements to submit when filing a claim (21-526ez)

It is most important that a veteran understand the basic elements he must prove.

For service connection, he must be able to establish (1) an in-service event or occurrence; (2) a present disability; and (3) a link between his present disability and the event in military service.

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

There are 3 main elements to submit when filing a claim (21-526ez)

It is most important that a veteran understand the basic elements he must prove.

For service connection, he must be able to establish (1) an in-service event or occurrence; (2) a present disability; and (3) a link between his present disability and the event in military service.

So I meet criteria # 1 ( 2 incidents with stomach issues). Does number 2 have to be diagnosed by my PCP, cause I also have that. How Would I go about with #3? An example would be good.

• HadIt.com Elder

''(3) a link between his present disability and the event in military service.

You will need a qualified Dr to read your pertain records and examine you and give is medical opinion as something like this 

''I have read this veterans medical records and have thoroughly examine him and it is my professional medical  opinion that it is likely as not his condition started up while in the military and give reasonable reason as why and his credentials as a qualified Dr

#2 can be diagnose from VA Dr or Private Dr  the only diagnose that needs to come from the VA is PTSD. (THAT I KNOW OF ANYWAY)

On 5/22/2020 at 11:32 AM, ronnieusmc0311 said:

I just went through my SMR and found that in 2009 I was experiencing "Fever, chills, and the inability to hold down food" after Eating. My wife prepared food and I ate, felt sick and vomited for hours. Mind you, none of my family got sick. Then when I was on Deployment to the Gulf (USS Bonhomme Richard LH-6) I had Acute Gastroenteritis (thats whats labeled on the paper) after departing from Thailand a month prior, we ended up in the Gulf Of Aden. Then in 2015 when I had already got out, I had a stomach issue which resulted in me being constipated and bloated for 2 months which is documented in a Private Medical file from my old PCP. Ever since the issue on Deployment I have suffered with gas, pain, and bloating which also causes Acid Reflex/ Gerd (which the VA denied me for). That is all the records I have. Where do I go from here? Thank you.

I have maximum for IBS. I am a Gulf Veteran and upon discharge I continued for 20 years telling the VA about stomach issues. Nothing was ever documented in service on IBS but I filed for IBS and was granted maximum. Hopefully you have been letting the VA know about your stomach issues since discharge. File for it and good luck.

You need to file a NOD and go to the BVA.  For one thing, this sounds like a presumptive to me:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/publications/gulf-war/gulf-war-winter-2016/gulf-war-presumptives.asp#:~:text=If you are a Gulf,were caused by military service.

Now there is a problem with presumptive SC, however:  The Navy.  VA only "wants" to pay boots on the ground Vets, not Navy Vets, but that is changing, too.  

It sounds like, you have Caluza elements 1 (current diagnosis) and 2 In service event.  Now you need a nexus, linking one and 2.  

You may need to hire an IMO, UNLESS you can get it sc as presumptive.  Berta is more up on BWN (blue water Navy) for presumptives, but you may not need that.  

Here is the deal:

1.  You enter the military and they give you a physical.  

2.  When you exit the military, you also get a physical.  If there are things upon exit, you did not have when you entered service, then this should be presumptively SC.  

Again, you need to file a NOD, like most of the rest of us to get your benefits.  VA only awards about 10 to 20 percent on first time claims, while the BVA awards or remands about 3 out of 4 of those who were denied by the VARO.  Source: BVA Chairmans report statistics:

https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp

On 5/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, ronnieusmc0311 said:

Well my question is when did VA deny your claim? Like Bronco said, if it is within a year, you can file a NOD.  If it is beyond a year, you will have to file a reopen or supplemental or Cue claim for VA to look at your evidence.