Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aids

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I am pretty sure I'm posting this questioning the wrong forum so for that I apologize in advance. 

I have had tinnitus for years and being Service connected I was told I was eligible for VA hearing aids (my hearing sucks too) that may help.  I've been told that the hearing aids they have really do help a lot with the constant ringing.  Does anyone on here currently have any from the VA and do they really work?  It would be nice to get relief sometimes if they actually do work.

Edited by Ranmic
typo

• HadIt.com Elder

GB Army

not sure you seen this above post.....and it still maybe unclear to you  and its not clear to me either.

broncovet is helping me  but kinda put a hold on all this  due to us moving changing address.

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck I saw your post and you said you were going to sit on it until the dust settles on your move.  I don't know of anyone else that is better than Bronc when it comes to EED, so that is great he can take the time to help. And I also think that another great move is to seek legal help on it too. As you know, there are a lot of nooks and cranies in VA law concerning EED. You have a potential for some serious back pay. That will get some of these lawyers to make a good eval. Of course, if they take the case, you know they think there is a good shot at winning or they wouldn't take it. I would do this and see how it goes rather than try a CUE. IMHO.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah GB I am taking that Robert Blackledge (Certified Accredited VA Claims Agent (2011) with 30 plus years claims experience my files after the dust settles   see what he thinks?

Sorry to drag this back up by I finally got around to setting up an appointment with the VA (actually waiting on them to call me back now) to have a MH evaluation done in ref to my tinnitus and hearing.  To say I'm nervous is an understatement because I have never had an exam or talked to a Dr about this type of stuff.  I guess I didn't realize sometimes how frustrated I get with my hearing sometimes until I actually thought about it recently.  I can see how MH could be be a secondary effect of tinnitus and hearing loss.  Any words of advice for me from anyone before I do go to the Dr to talk?

• HadIt.com Elder

IF you were around loud noise during your military service  that can be related or cased by  for loss of hearing. ..Noise Induced Hearing loss, although there trying to throw this out and have it over turn, so you need to file for hearing loss ASAP.

Also Depression can be related to or caused by for loss of hearing.

I am rated for hearing loss because I have bilateral  noise induced hearing loss caused by my military service.

you will need  a nexus to connect the two to your military service.

you need these 3 Main elements to qualify for hearing loss with the VA

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:  

1.  Current Diagnosis.   No diagnosis, no Service Connection.  

2.  In Service Event or Aggravation.  

3.  Nexus, or Doctor's Statement close to: "The Veteran's (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service"  

This is also known as the "Hickson Elements" for a later case.  

Or today  known as the Culzua Triangle 

• HadIt.com Elder

*NOTE*Also if you have tinnitus  you need to let the Audiologist Know at your VA Hearing test .

you can describe this ringing in your head  and it is of constant sound (you hear it 24 x7)   so you need to let the Dr Know this...they will not just give it to you if you don't let them know about it  because there's no testing for tinnitus...so us veterans has to let the audiologist know about the ringing in your head/ears  or what ever sounds your hearing.  its 10% for both ears.  that's 5% for each ear.