VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I file for an Intent To File A Claim For Compensation (VA Form 21-0966) on e-benefits?

Rate this question

Sharm

Question

4 answers to this question

My advice?  Dont file an ITF.  File a claim instead.  While other Vets advocates like the ITF, in my research, apparently the ITF no longer applies.  

At a minimum, even if VA accepts your ITF, half the time they weasel out of the ITF date, and you have to appeal to get it.  

Therefore, just file a claim.  Then, work hard and fast to get the evidence you need, "knowing" you have a short fuse until denial.  

If you give a man 8 hours to do a 1 hour job, most wait until the 7th hour.  So, just "create your own deadline" by filing, and be motivated to complete the necessary paperwork promptly.  

Others may suggest ITF, but I say, do it at your own risk.  I see no benefit to ITF but delay.  Instead, just file the claim, and get the evidence submitted ASAP.  

Many times, when I give good advice, people dont follow it, then wonder why they dont get a good result.  Duh

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet,

I filed the ITF on my last claim  and the VA R.O. sent me confirmation that they recieved the ITF on a certain date  which was correct   the date was the same day I filed it electronically on e benefits.

I copied that confirmation letter. 

I requested my C-file that same day,,,it took about 9 months to get it  and I had  another 2 months and 29 days to file the claim  which I did, it took about 4 months for a decision, I got 16 months retro.

Filing a ITF helps a Veteran prepare for his/her claim and get medical records in and  his/her C-file,  gives an extra year of retro and ever how long it takes for a decision.

I think filling the ITF is a good thing,  but the Veteran needs to send it in before /within a year after filing it...its good to send the claim in within a week or two before the year is up.

I always tell veterans to file on e-benefits electronically.

Dead line for filing the ITF is exactly  12 months  ...12 months and one day  won't cut it.   it has to be sent in with in a year after filing.

If the Veteran wins a 100% claim , that extra year is a pretty nice hunk of change.

• HadIt.com Elder
8 hours ago, Sharm said:

Need assistance in where to find on ebenefits to File a VA Form 21-0966 (Intent To File A Claim For Compensation) ?

. When submitting through eBenefits, you must initiate a claim, complete the personal information page, and hit “save”, which then establishes your effective date while allowing you up to 1 year to complete your application. 2. Completing and mailing paper VA Form 21-0966, Intent to File a Claim for Compensation and/or Pension,

Just be sure to file it before 12 months is up  file it a week or so before the 12 months is up   other wise they will treat it like a regular claim and the date or your EED will be when they (VA) files the claim.

so be sure to file it within a year  or 11 months and 29 days   filing electronically on e benefits.