Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Schedular Permanent but not Total?

Rate this question

blahsaysme2u

Question

OK guys. i have a lot of news to update you all on but i haven't gotten my letters yet so i am waiting on those before i post updates. but looking like i have won to very large claims in my favor that should push me over to 100% schedular. all of my claims are disabilities that obviously will never get better and will only degrade for the rest of my life(osa,tbi,tinnitus,back leg feet issues hearing loss,gerd) 

so with all that being said i am looking into what my next steps are. i know i am going to be fighting some effective dates on some of my claims and that will be a seperate post. but i have searched far and wide and have found very little info on P&T as it pertains to veterans that are looking for just getting their disabilities identified as permanent but not necessarily total. i still work and want to continue to work as i enjoy my job, my employer is good to me and makes great allowances for my disabilities to allow me to continue to work,etc. i worry getting P&T will make me have to stop working like TDIU.

so questions:

1. is P&T like TDIU as respect to work?
  2. can you be rated permanent and not total?
  3. what process do i need to go through to get my claims rated permanent?
  4. i have some effective dates that are already "protected"(over the 10 year) but not as permanent (over 20) and some with newer effective dates. if i get permanent or if P&T is given together, will all my claims be protected together, or will each claim have to stand on its own as being permanent? reason i ask this question; i know that P&T is listed on benefits summary page on ebennies, so wondered if you cant have permanent without total and if once you get it its for all claims since its just a yes no question not for each disability. 
  5. can you not get the benefits of being 100% without being P&T? ie champ va etc?

again i tried to find answers to these questions and knew if anyone had the answers it was the guys here. 

thanks for any help or any resources you can direct me to!

• Adminstrator
  1. is P&T like TDIU as respect to work?

No P&T does not make it so you cannot work and still get the benefit.  P&T is basically saying your conditions will not improve.  

1. can you be rated permanent and not total?

I thought I saw this and I think you can, but normally it is P&T

1. what process do i need to go through to get my claims rated permanent?

I understand you need your doctor to say your condition/s will not improve or that they are Permanent and total

1. i have some effective dates that are already "protected"(over the 10 year) but not as permanent (over 20) and some with newer effective dates. if i get permanent or if P&T is given together, will all my claims be protected together, or will each claim have to stand on its own as being permanent? reason i ask this question; i know that P&T is listed on benefits summary page on ebennies, so wondered if you cant have permanent without total and if once you get it its for all claims since its just a yes no question not for each disability. 

Not sure on this one.  

1. can you not get the benefits of being 100% without being P&T? ie champ va etc?

You get the monetary value, but you do not get the other item.  

Did you check the letters in your Ebenefits?  I checked mine and the box was checked for P&T and gave me the effective date.  Granted I will fight it, but i is a good start.

OK 100% scheduler and TDIU pays the veteran the same benefits but P & T is not a rating it is an ancillary benefit granted to veterans once they have reached 100% scheduler or TDIU.  TDIU is granted to veterans that cannot not work due to their service connected disabilities.  When the veteran is award 100% scheduler, he/she can legally work and make all the money that he/she wants. There are no restrictions. P & T comes together and VA can't/won't separate the two. It depends if your medical evidence states that your conditions are permanent in nature ( Not Likely to Improve).  For more information about P & T try looking up VA form 21-8760. 

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8760-ARE.pdf

ok so that link basically talks about only being P&T as regards to being blind and loss of limbs. but that really doesnt answer my other questions. i knew about those requirements already and appreciate the info but as far as the claims i have already, if i got ot my doc and get a letter saying these conditions wont get better, will the VA mark me as P&T or just permanent? 

• Founder
50 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

OK 100% scheduler and TDIU pays the veteran the same benefits but P & T is not a rating it is an ancillary benefit granted to veterans once they have reached 100% scheduler or TDIU.  TDIU is granted to veterans that cannot not work due to their service connected disabilities.  When the veteran is award 100% scheduler, he/she can legally work and make all the money that he/she wants. There are no restrictions. P & T comes together and VA can't/won't separate the two. It depends if your medical evidence states that your conditions are permanent in nature ( Not Likely to Improve).  For more information about P & T try looking up VA form 21-8760. 

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8760-ARE.pdf

You are total when you are when you reach 100%, I had to request permanent status a few years later and it was approved. Then I became Permanent and Total (100%)

that makes sense. ok so i just need to get letters from doctor saying my conditions will not improve. do i need one from each condition or will one condition suffice? if you have 3/5 that meet the criteria will could you be denied permanent? i worry my PTSD will be difficult to get a letter on bc all of my doctors i have seen seem to have this idea that i can "get better if i just try harder" or some bull