VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ch. 35 Question

Rate this question

DavidS

Question

Hello Hadit.  I am not sure where to post this question....but here goes.  I was recently awarded TDIU P & T back to January 2017.  My daughter is One semester away from graduating from college.  She has been in school since 2015.  Is it possible for her to get some of her student load debt paid based on Chapter 35 benefits?  If so, what steps should we take to get this process started?  Thank you for any help!

On 12/7/2020 at 11:47 AM, DavidS said:

Is it possible for her to get some of her student load debt paid based on Chapter 35 benefits?  If so, what steps should we take to get this process started? 

Apparently nobody knows. Maybe she could check with her school. Do some searches for Chapter 35 benefits and see if you can find someone to contact. I saw a number 1-888-GIBILL-1 while I did a little searching. If you find the answer come back and tell us what it is.

Maybe.  When she applies for Chapter 35, there are 2 options and she needs to specify:

(This letter will come to the dependent shortly after applying for chapter 35 DEA. Or, at least, that is the way it happened when my son went to school about 15 years ago.  I cant promise its the same now.)  

1.  Make Champva effective now

2.  Make champva effective on/near your effective date of chapter 35.  

While it wont "pay off" student loans, your dependendent, if they follow all champva rules, "could" get benefits back to your effective date, and that money could be used to payoff some/all of past student loans.  

If she has not applied, she should, and now!  (I assume your decision letter states eligibility for DEA chapter 35 benefits).  

Edited by broncovet

Make sure she checks with the school FAO (Financial Aid Office) and or the VRO (Veterans Resource Office). Yes, have her apply for CH 35 and go from there. These two offices should be in the same building or in the same area and should be able to assist her. Always and I mean always apply for the PELL Grant. Funds may be available to any student that applies. 

Thank you all for your help!  I will have her her go ahead and apply online, and then talk to her FAO.  

@Brocovet......We have not applied for ChampVA yet because I am a FERS recipient and I have Federal Insurance.  I will read up on ChampVA ASAP.  And yes, my award letter includes Ch. 35 DEA benefits.  Thanks so much for your help!

Well, I wanted to let you all know what  I found out........ This was on the VA website

If you’ve already started your program:

• Take your application to your school or employer.
  • Ask your school to fill out a VA Enrollment Certification (VA Form 22-1999) and send it to us along with your application.

This is our starting point.  

I finished my degree under CHAMPVA, ( American Military University) but had to pay about 6 or 8 thousand out of pocket to continue there when my limiting date ran out.

DEA was awarded to me due to my deceased husband's posthumous award of 100% P & T SC PTSD.

Then I was awarded a direct SC death benefit ( DMII AO contributing to death)that overruled the prior 1151 death benefit and was able to get afar better EED for my Chapter 35.

With proof of my tuition payments the VA refunded the 6 or 8 thousand I had paid.

They also gave me better EED when I proved my AO IHD death claim.

I did not however apply for any type of Pell or other financial aid, but if I were you,I would suggest that your daughter try to see if she can get a reimbursement.

I was the first civilian graduate AMU had and also their first DEA student. I hooked up via email with the school's veterans coordinator, who , at first was unfamiliar with VA DEA (Chap 35) -so I sent her the regulations- to handle my DEA and my subsequent refund.