Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ch. 35 Question

Rate this question

DavidS

Question

Hello Hadit.  I am not sure where to post this question....but here goes.  I was recently awarded TDIU P & T back to January 2017.  My daughter is One semester away from graduating from college.  She has been in school since 2015.  Is it possible for her to get some of her student load debt paid based on Chapter 35 benefits?  If so, what steps should we take to get this process started?  Thank you for any help!

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing she needs from the school is proof she attended and her status as full time back to 2017 the effective date of the award. Ask the RO to retro the chapter 35  benefit back to the earliest date on your award letter. Chapter 35 pays the student directly and not the school. As far as ChampVA you have 18 months to submit bills or recipts for each eligible dependent back to the effective date of the P and T award. Also keep in mind Champ VA is slower than a turtle on a treadmill when it comes to these claims and can take several months. 

Also, and this is just chiming in. If YOU co-signed the student loan... then it is also YOUR student loan and happily is the forgiveable under the new veterans relief. There is no credit point penalty etc. you just contact the lender, send them proof of your status and boom, the debt is gone and noted as paid in both credit files. Now I do not know what the future ramifications might be for you to co-sign future student debt so that might be a consideration if your child wants to take a further degree... but it can alleviate the current debt.