VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Insomnia secondary to Tinnitus, Hypertension secondary to Tinnitus

Rate this question

Matt Birchfield

Question

Afternoon all.

I have been doing some research into Tinnitus and claiming secondary for Insomnia and Hypertension. I have a 10% for Tinnitus and 0% for hearing loss (submarine sonar tech), but honestly the lack of sleep is beating me down. I have not gotten a full night in several years. I usually get 5-6 hrs a night, with multiple interruptions due to what I feel is my ears ringing. 

I did a search on the forum here for tinnitus and Insomnia but the last post was from 2012, hence the new thread.

I was able to find 3 cases where the VA ruled in favor of the member for secondary insomnia and secondary hypertension, Case numbers: 1207104, 1522463, and 1600946. The last case was for insomnia only. I also have a study that is an Examination of the relationship between Insomnia and Tinnitus, DOI: 10.1177/1179557318781078

My question is how do I get this all linked together? I plan on going to my primary care and taking this evidence to him (He's a retired commander) and see what his thoughts are, but I was also referred to you guys as the knowledgeable peeps. 

Thanks

Matt

Not sure how you are thinking but a claim for insomnia would be rated as a claim for a mental health disorder. Depression, Mood, Anxiety or even PTSD but insomnia cannot be rated by itself.  If I am wrong others will chime in.  Basically, you can file any claim secondary to a service-connected condition but to win those claim you will need a medical opinion with a good medical rationale how they are related.

I basically don't know where to start I guess. Do I go to my primary and tell him I think I have insomnia and go from there? Do I file a claim and say its secondary to the tinnitus and then reference the study and the other cases? I'm just not sure how to proceed.

It would probably be best to have your PCP (Primary Care Provider) refer you to the mental health clinic for an evaluation.  If you are having problems sleeping (INSOMNIA) you can get it diagnosed and treated through the Mental Health Clinic. You can also discuss any other conditions you have and ask their opinion of any other clinic you should/could be referred to. Keep in mind that this process starts a paper trail of your condition and you will need that once you file your claims.

Hi,

Secondary to tinnitus has been done recently ...

https://community.hadit.com/topic/74958-mental-health-secondary-to-tinnitus/?

https://community.hadit.com/topic/75767-supplemental-claim-granted/#comment-472060

Lack of sleep can cause all sorts of secondary issues.

You have to get a diagnosis and then a write up on connecting that to tinnitus.

Good luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt MH disabilities, PTSD in particular, are on veterans' radar, as they think that the government is going to take their guns away. No. My understanding is that the only way that could happen is if you were to threaten to hurt yourself or someone else. They do ask questions on ownership, how & where do you store them and accessibility, etc. But if you are not likely to show that lyou have bad intenyions, you'll be ok. As to your clearance, there are HIPA laws and you are protected. If you don't say anything, how would it come up?