Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing a MH claim

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Hi everyone!  As usual I appreciate everyone's input and opinions on all the subjects I read about here.

Now on to my question.  I have been seeing a VA Doctor for about 6 months now for a couple of MH issues I've had.  Some are related to my hearing loss (service connected) and depression and some are related to an event when I was on active duty.  The VA doc gave me a diagnosis of "unspecified traumatic stress disorder", insomnia and anxiety.  My PCP based off of the phycologist opinion prescribed me a med to control the anxiety, stress and depression.  My question is if I decide to file a claim for VA compensation should I wait awhile longer seeing as I have only been seeing a doctor for about 6 months or does that really matter?  Second I felt comfortable filing a claim on my own for my hearing issue and knees on my own but I'm a little hesitate on this one.  Should I use a VSO/DAV group or just move forward with all my current evidence like I have in the past.  I'm comfortable filing the claim I just want to make sure I don't miss anything important.

Thank you again for your help.

6 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Diagnostic impression usually means a preliminary diagnosis on the way to an actual diagnosis. It's still a lot stronger than "subjective complaint" which is the part coming from you that has nothing behind it other than what you are saying. The examiner, your private physician, whatever, takes that subjective statement from you, applies diagnostics, and then forms an objective statement or diagnosis. The term diagnostic impression isn't really defined and many practitioners use it interchangeably with 'diagnosis'. MH stuff is weird, too in that you can have a diagnostic impression for a long time before having a firm 'diagnosis' because MH conditions can all resemble each other pretty well. 

Thank you Brokensoldier!  I plan on continuing to see the Dr for a while longer to talk about things like being depressed, my anxiety....etc.  I plan on filing a claim at some point but want ensure I'm going about it the correct way. 

When I do file a claim should I file it under the grounds of secondary to tinnitus (10%) and my SC hearing loss (0%) or do I reference the traumatic issue I experienced while on AD?  Mind you the traumatic experience was not noted in my med record but it can be validated because it was a suicide in the room next to me/us during the work day....that's a long sad story in itself.

The depression and anxiety to be honest is probably more so because of my hearing and how embarrassing it is and making communication at work difficult.  I got VA hearing aids recently but that really doesn't take away the depression of hearing loss.

Which one is easier to prove diagnostically? Tinnitus sucks (I have it) and there are nights that even my noise canceling headphones and thunderstorm sound don’t drown it. It can drive you nuts even with hearing AIDS that try to cancel it out.

The bad thing is, too, that when it rains I fall asleep.😜

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Its "not always required" for your doctor to say (exactly):  "I diagnose you with  _________."

For example, my doc stated in ONE of my reports indicated "diagnosis by hx (history)".  In other words another doc diagnosed it, he just treated it.  

Further, if your doctor PRESCRIBES MEDS for TREATMENT of a "condition A", then you can assume he made that diagnosis unless he states that he is using this medication "off label" for a purpose other than that intended by the drug manufacturer.  A doc can prescribe Wellbutrin to help you stop smoking, even tho that is a drug for depression.    

Example:  If your doctor prescribes drugs used to treat depression, then you can assume HE thinks you have depression, absent a comment from the doc that this med is off label.   The doc has quite a bit of leeway in "diagnosis".  He can examine you, and make a judgement call of a diagnosis, or he can order one or more tests to confirm.  As far as I know, there is no blood test or other test for many/most mental disorders, its a judgement call of the doctor.    

Edited by broncovet

^^^^THIS^^^^

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

An example of this may be a doc prescribing a CPAP.  Did he diagnose sleep apnea?  Probably, but that may not have found its way into your records.  

Its a fairly easy call to make that he did not diagnose you with OSA and prescribe a CPAP, if you came in with a broken Femur and did not have sleep apnea diagnosis previously.  

^^^THIS AGAIN^^^ Damn, Bronx. Batting 100 for the day.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff