Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

LHI and covid

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was recently sent a letter by LHI for an exam .  This was for a disability I did not actually claim.  I know this is nuts.  On the letter from LHI it stated that if I was over 65 years old I did not have to attend the exam if I feared possible infection by covid-19.  I told them I was afraid of covid and that since I did not actually claim this new disability I did not want to attend the pension exam.  Today I got a letter telling me I was eligible for Disabled Vet Life Insurance.  I interpret this as the VA having ignored my letters and made a decision on a new disability I did not claim.  Wow.....this is goofy especially since I think they granted a rating on this unclaimed disability.  I had written them twice telling them I did not claim the new disability and that it was a mistake.  Never the less, it looks like they may have granted it anyway.  I did go for a DMII exam for an increase.  I was told a decision was made on all my claims and that I would be getting a letter in the next ten days.  This is a bit nerve wracking wondering what the hell the VA is up to now.  The so-called new disability claim I did not make has nothing to do with DMII.   Once the VA wheels get rolling they are hard to stop even if they are wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999 So what is the disability that they awarded? You don't know. Do you use a VSO; if not, go to one and ask them to look at the VBMS and see what it says. They probably will do it right away. My guess, pure speculation it is either they messed you up with another veteran and it should be going to him. Or, the evidence supported another disability and they put you in for it even though you didn't ask for it. It does happen, although most of the time you have to submit a claim seperately for it yourself.You shouldn't decline a disability award until you have the facts. They can open up your file again and start fishing around even though it could be a disability legit to you. Worse case, wait for the decision letter and read it carefully. We all would like to know how you make out.

1 hour ago, john999 said:

I was recently sent a letter by LHI for an exam .  This was for a disability I did not actually claim.  I know this is nuts.  On the letter from LHI it stated that if I was over 65 years old I did not have to attend the exam if I feared possible infection by covid-19.  I told them I was afraid of covid and that since I did not actually claim this new disability I did not want to attend the pension exam.  Today I got a letter telling me I was eligible for Disabled Vet Life Insurance.  I interpret this as the VA having ignored my letters and made a decision on a new disability I did not claim.  Wow.....this is goofy especially since I think they granted a rating on this unclaimed disability.  I had written them twice telling them I did not claim the new disability and that it was a mistake.  Never the less, it looks like they may have granted it anyway.  I did go for a DMII exam for an increase.  I was told a decision was made on all my claims and that I would be getting a letter in the next ten days.  This is a bit nerve wracking wondering what the hell the VA is up to now.  The so-called new disability claim I did not make has nothing to do with DMII.   Once the VA wheels get rolling they are hard to stop even if they are wrong.

John999, I know that the ebenefits and VA.gov sites are not reliable, but you can try and check there to see if there is any change in your disabilities. I was recently granted a new claim for sleep apnea and I received a letter from Disabled Veterans Life Insurance, and I was confused, and I called them and asked why did they send me this application since I have been 100% P & T  well over a decade and I was already granted a waiver of my Insurance. "Peggy" told me not to worry, it is something they normally send out to veterans when they are granted a new service connection and my waiver of Insurance is still covered.  

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pacmanx1

I will try doing the ebenefits thing as you suggest. I think I got an increase on the DMII because I have to use insulin now.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the "new disability" is PTSD.  The thing is I already have 70% for depression and anxiety. I am a Vietnam vet as well.  Maybe they think my DX should be PTSD.  I did not ask for it and I don't think it is going to affect my compensation since I already have TDIU P&T for almost 20 years.  Way back I went to one of those vet centers and went to group therapy.  When I was working my claim back in 2001 I asked the vet center to submit my records to the VA.  They put a DX of PTSD but I got my award for depression and anxiety.  So maybe this it.  I don't think I will get any more money since they lump mental claims together and come up with a rating.  I have an overall rating of 90%.  I don't care about getting 100% schedular since I am 71 years old and retired.  It is just an amazing turn of events.  I never got a break from the VA since I filed my first claim in 1972.  I asked for an increase in my DMII so maybe they looked at everything.  My DMII claims is simple with all records at the VA hospital.  I thought this would be a slam dunk with no complications.  Wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my new rating but not for PTSD.  It was for complications of DMII.  The new ratings put me over the 100% rating.  It is really hard to go from 90% that I had to 100% schedular.  I must have had an extra combined 80% that put me over the 97% rate rounded up to 100%.  So long TDIU and hell-o 100%.  It only took 20 years.

John999, 

Congratulations!

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.