Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Questions On Back Strain (5295) & Tinnitus

Rate this question

rway

Question

I have recently went to DAV help putting in for an increase on my disabilities (Meniere's and Migraines). The DAV personnel saw that I was really depressed and told me that I need to check the possibility of having depression add to my claim as Secondary do to all my disabilities. I went to my primary VA doctor and she agreed and put me on the drug Lamictal and made an appointment with Mental Health. The DAV then filled out my paperwork for an increase in all disabilities with Secondary Depression do to these disabilities. My Questions are.....

Am I going to have a C&P for all of my disabilities? I mainly wanted my Menieres and Migraine ratings increased.

What if they believe my other ratings should be decreased? I have a knee conditon (5257) that was rated 30% which is the max that it can be rated, and I do not want to mess that up.

I also have 10% for a Back Strain (5295) and I have not been able to find the code in the rating schedule of musculoskeletal. Can anyone help me locate the ratings for (5295)?

I have also read in the Hadit forum of Bilateral Tinnitus. In the rating schedule, I can only find a 10% rating for Tinnitus (6260). Is there such a rating of Bilateral Tinnitus?

Thanks for any help!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you both (Rickb54 & Vike17)

I have my Mental Health Appt. Wed. and probably would have never mentioned to him that I was there for a secondary claim to my disabilities. I do not like to talk about any of my problems, I generally listen to everyone elses. Hopefully, I will be able to open up. What can I expect when I go there? Is there going to be a oral or written test?

I asked my VA doctor if she would write a short letter stating her opion on my conditions and she said no, that she writes everything in the medical records and that should be sufficient. I looked through my copies of all my records and found nothing on my back or knee conditons for the past 3 years. Throughout the three years I have only been complaining about my migraines and Menieres. I have only been taking Meds that are dual purpose, such as Gabapentin and Ibuprofen for my Back and Knee pain which I also take both for Migraines. I guess I am worried because she never mentions my back or knee. I have never been reexamined for them. I was awarded both disabilities back in 1998. In fact I have never been reexamined for anything (Migraines, Menieres, Tinnitus, Knee Condition, Arthritis, Back Strain, or Rosacea) They all were awarded in 1998 except Menieres in 2001. Do you think the 5/10 year thing-a-mi-jig will play a factor?

Thanks again, RWAY

I was awarded 30% SC on my previous Menieres claim and I am pursuiting an increase at this time. I was also awarded 10% for Tinnitus. I was surprised that it was found service connected. In my service medical records I had complained only about my ears ringing, feeling full and loss of hearing when seen by the ENT. I did complain to the GP doctor about getting dizzy and having migraines every now. My GP was looking only at my blood pressure. When I got out of the Service I filed a claim for Migraines, I was sent also to C&P ENT for a examination. I never even filed a claim for Tinnitus. The C&P ENT doctor just asked me the right questions and put it all together. Then he sent me for more testing to see if he was right. The end results, Menieres 30%, Tinnitus 10%, Migraines 10%. I was lucky because I never complained about dizziness before to the ENT's. The Menieres award does say "Meniere's disease with hearing impairment, vertigo, and tinnitus. And I still was awarded and additional 10% for Tinnitus. At this time I can only find the first page from my award. When I find the rest of the package, I could probably tell you more. I do know that it stated if I have cerebellar gait problems, I would be considered for the next higher rating.

Hope this info helps.

rway

I stated that I am bedridden an average of 9 days a month and on those days and whenI tried to walk or stand, I would have drop down to my knees. I have even had to crawl to the bathroom.

Not sure why they gave %10 Tinnitus also. I thought maybe, because I had Tinnitus in my records a few years before I had all the other symptoms of Menieres. But, I am not sure.

rway

Army,

If you took time to truly read and comprehend you would see that a separate evaluation for Tinnitus

is warranted as Tinnitus is not a supportive factor to 6205 Meniere's syndrome.

Not every person with Meniere's has Tinnitus. You might be wise to also read the NOTE that goes with a

Meniere's evaluation. The notes provides for rating some conditions separetly in order to award the higher

percentage of disability.

6260 Tinnitus, recurrent........................................ 10

Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined

with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204,

or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an

evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.

jmho,

carlie

Edited by carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.