VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DAV CCK Law Firm Letter -- Legit? Anyone personally have experience with these guys?

Rate this question

ReallyAngry

Question

So I got a decision from the BVA that seems favorable, totally slam dunking the VARO in Atlanta and the various mercenary opinions they acquired. A few of the items on appeal were remanded for the usual reasons. I don't feel it's necessary to go into all the details. However, then I got a letter from the DAV, which has done absolutely nothing that I'm aware of to help my claims/appeals up to this point. After some boiler plate about CAVC and deadlines, it goes on to say this:

DAV routinely uses the firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick Ltd (CCK) to facilitate prompt review of BVA decisions. CCK has concluded that BVA may have erred in denying your appeal, or in failing to grant you the highest possible rating or earliest effective date. Through a special arrangement with DAV, CCK is willing to represent you at CAVC for no charge. (CAVC itself will require that you pay a nominal filing fee, although this fee may be waived based on hardship). Very few cases qualify for this special DAV program.

So, is this legit? Why after so many lawyers refusing to help me all these years because there is nothing in it for them would these guys be interested in helping me now? I made it this far without any of their help. Why should I even consider such a program where if anything is gained they get a chunk of it? I'm sorry, but I don't generally trust special offers through the mail claiming only to help a select few. Also, I've been burned, let's see, by six separate attorneys on completely unrelated matters. I don't trust any of them, AT ALL. As far as I can tell, most of the problems in this country currently come about because of them--the ones who run for office, the ones who chase ambulances, and the ones who burn their clients for another snort of coke, because they are friends with the opposing attorney, or because they've been paid or threatened in private. I've been through a lot--you wouldn't believe me if I told it all. Already I doubt this will be taken as more than paranoid ravings by an unstable person.

More importantly, anyone out there with genuine experience with these guys at CCK? Anyone who has a history of comments online proving they aren't just a hired goon posting social media commentary for pay that is.

I have experience with the CCK law group as they just got done helping me get my case remanded back down to the BVA. Like you I was getting less than zero help by my DAV but I got a letter about CCK reviewing my case, blah blah blah, same as you, so I gave them a call. I was a bit weary like you but they were legit and actually very personable and helpful. It was nice to finally have someone else see what I saw and agree that I was getting screwed. It was free, which is a biggie to me. They kept in touch with phone calls and letters and were successful at getting it sent back down to the lower court. That is really their only purpose and the only part that is free. I looked into it when I first got the letter and apparently some program or bill was created that allowed this service to exist free of charge for veterans. Only thing that sucks is I asked if they would represent me at the BVA court level, which I was willing to pay for (a portion of your backpay if they help you win) and they couldn't because they just didn't have the staffing for that. Now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here with no help just trying to get the bare minimum service connection for my condition, I'm fine with 0% as long as I can get the service connection.

11 minutes ago, Elizabetho said:

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here with no help just trying to get the bare minimum service connection for my condition, I'm fine with 0% as long as I can get the service connection.

The only thing I can add is to read and re-read your rating decision and the remand orders. There is a lot of information you can use. There may be times when you have to use the exact same language as they did. I got my remand from the CAVC and my lawyer was gone. The BVA granted me service connection back to 1998 but the local VARO has been screwing up my percentage and my effective date. I finally got my effective date corrected, now my claim is back at the BVA waiting for them to correct my percentage back to 1998.  Trust me, all the information is in your records if you got a CAVC remand. Pay close attention to your rating criteria in 38 CFR part 4 and what the Reason and Bases said, and evidence used in your Rating Decision and follow the remand  orders. If you have any questions, you can always post them here in one of the threads. Just start you own so more can see and reply.

In my opinion CCK is one of best vet lawyer law firms.

"Why after so many lawyers refusing to help me all these years because there is nothing in it for them would these guys be interested in helping me now? I made it this far without any of their help.

Many years ago I contacted at least 20 lawyers here in NY to help represent me on a FTCA wrongful death case, or at least refer me to someone who could.

None of them wanted to see my evidence and all of them were very discouraging, some saying 'You cant sue the USA"

So I did all of the legal and medical work myself and without a lawyer and even without an IMO, I succeeded in wrongful death of my husband, due to VA "medical care" and settled with the USA under OGC auspices.

I have gotten lots of negativity on many of my claims, from former POAs. 

Negativity inspires me.

You might have a 1151 claim basis, we have plenty of info here in the FTCA nd 1151 forum.

The criteria for success is 

1. documentation of VA malpractice /negligence, and also documented proof that the VA's medical error)s) caused you to have additional disability, injury, death in my husban;s case, or th amputation, in you case.

I think you mentioned the amputation was regarding the wrong insoles or orthonics-

I have a podiatrist and get custom orthonics and I do not see ,in your post here, the medical nexus you would need, but that would be in your VA medical records .

My podiatrists asks me every time I see him , if I am a diabetic. I am not but I thank him for always asking, not just me but all of his patients because diabetics need special care if they have certain foot problems.

If we can see the remand, redacted if you can scan and attach it here ( cover C file, name, address prior to scanning it) we can help more.

Or if you give us the Docket number and Citation number, it might be at the BVA web site already.

You're right. How can you trust a lawyer who once set you up? If I were you, I wouldn`t contact them again. Unfortunately, not all law firms justify the trust, many of them exist only to make a profit in an illegal way. I`m very careful when choosing a lawyer, and if I need help, I ask for recommendations from friends and relatives. For example I was advised https://bsmlaw.com.au/our-services/arabic-speaking-lawyers/ and I wasn`t mistaken to turn to them, so I'm not afraid to advise you. Also, be suspicious of those who don`t ask for payment or work for cheap, it always leads to troubles.

Edited by samwinchester

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Sanwinchester Welcome to Hadit. We always are grateful when new viewers decide to post of a subject New and fresh commentaries can not only add a new side of a problem, but might spark others to comment as well. I wish to call attention, however, to the dates of the posts. As you can see, they were in May but not this year but in 2021. Postings that old are probably not going to add a lot of participation. Hope to see you again on another topic.