VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received P&T Unemployability. Should I appeal 70% Rating?

Rate this question

aggravating_coyote

Question

Hi,

Last week, I was awarded P&T TDIU for a claim that was previously awarded 70% mental health disability rating.  Should I now appeal the 70% mental health rating?  The word "total" is difference between a 70% and 100% mental health rating, as I read the information. Is P&T unemployable possibly considered as a 100% disability rating?

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have TDIU  P&T you will be paid at the 100%.  You are considered permanently and totally disabled for VA benefits.  Do you think you can get 100% schedular?  I had 70% TDIU for years. I was lucky to get it considering what asses  the VA can be.  If you have the evidence to get 100% schedular.  Do you want to go back to work at some level.  If so then 100% is much better than TDIU.  You might take a  breather since you are now P&T.

We need more information. Not sure if you are trying to get 100% for a mental health disorder/disability or you are trying to get 100% combined with other disabilities. P & T is Permanent and Total which means that your current level of disabilities are not likely to improve for the rest of your life. 

My concerns relate to benefits, such as SSDI, county property taxes and disabled veteran license plate.  The applications state that the veteran must be 100% permanently and totally disabled.  I'm worried that even though my TDIU is P&T, and I am paid at the 100% level, my actual service-connected rating is not 100%.

I'm worried that the agencies will not see me as 100% rated...

Edited by aggravating_coyote
Clarification

• HadIt.com Elder

Aggravating  Log onto Va.gov and scroll down to the "letters" section. Print a copy of your benefits letter and just bring it down to the county (or town's ) assessors office and ask them. It is that simple. What works in one jurisdiction might not fly in another. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Agg

If you show them the letter where it says Permanent and Total they probably will give you the tax break.  I live in Florida and I was TDIU P&T and I got the exemption.  Most of these people know little about VA jargon.

• HadIt.com Elder

SSDI has little to do with VA.  They have their own criteria. Go for it.  I had TDIU and I got SSDI in three months.  You need a good  IMO for that.  It is easier to get SSDI for a mental condition than a physical one IMO.  They can't xray your brain.