VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I get all of my service medical record?

Rate this question

Squanto

Question

When I retired in 2004 I got a copy of my medical record and it was about a ream of paper.  Unfortunately, that has been lost.  I have since requested a copy but only received about 30 pages.  Is there a way to get a new copy of the entire record?  I need to go through and find more evidence.  Thanks.

5 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

When you say, you requested a copy, where did you request a copy from?

Thanks,

Hamslice

Well, it was quite some time back so I can't say for sure. I did a Google search on it and requested it online.  Where is the correct place to request it?

i think it depends- national archives and milconnect are good places to start...i am not sure if they are the same or not- mine seem to have different info in them so i requested both. 

milconnect you should be able to download in just a few min once you have an account there and are verified.

https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/

national archives i think takes longer to get- been a while since i requested mine. 

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

also this has some good info:

https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

Good info ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, you could contact your last unit and ask about your medical records and they will tell you what they did with them when you left.  Supprising answers when you are in the National Guard or Reserves.

I actually had some medical records (I had dates and location) that I could not find anywhere.  After a couple years, I sent a request my Senator.  After 2 months, they told me they could not find them.  6 months later I got a big brown envelope from a Regular Army Post (which I had never been to) which contained the records I was looking for without any correspondence or explanation.  Just my records in a brown envelope.

Shake the tree,

You never know,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

The army lost my basic training medical records,  AIT records and records from my last duty station.  That was back in the day. I  think they also lost records from Vietnam.  They did not give you a copy of your records when you were discharged in those days. At least I got nothing.