Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Your Excellent Post

Rate this question

Guest HolliGreen

Question

Guest HolliGreen

Hi Hoppy, I enjoyed reading your post, I can relate to many of the situations you wrote about. I have found that some in society need to pigeonhole people, for example: if one says they are disabled, well gosh darn, you better look it. My university thesis was about disability in the workplace ( it was hard to write at times from an objective perspective as oppossed to a subjective perspective ) but all went well. A few fellow students verbally attacked me and accused me of single-handedly closing down a favorite drive in diner that was subjected to ADA modifications! Unbelieveable! For the record, I had never been to the diner. Talk about classroom hysterics! The same classroom cabal was convinced there was corruption with the handicap parking placard, the professor requested I explain how the process works. I told the class the placards are not given out like candy and explained the procedure. This seemed to placate the cabal.

At any rate, I have come to the conclusion that some people just do not get it, are envious and/or jealous and getting into a debate is not worth it. Like the movie "Twelve Angry Men" when the older man attempts to make his point (to no avail) to the blustery bigmouth bully and the camera focuses on the Jack Lemmon character gently placing his hand on the older man's forearm as to say "the bully will never understand no matter what you say so save your breath". I have saved my breath alot because I need my breath! Take care. Holli

Edited by HolliGreen

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

Holli --

Fact of the matter is my suspicion is that *all* handicap placards have to be examinedf for fakeness. They are not easy to fake, but can be freely transferred from person to person. I saw a carload of kids pull into a handicap spot on the Mall with such a sticker, pile out annd commnce playing power frisbee -- and me without my baseball bat in my car.

My point is, if you are handicpped, get a plate.

Alex

I'm jumping in because I have a story to relate. I had an appointment at the Nashville VAMC, and drove into the parking garage. I have a Tennessee DV (disabled veteran) parking plate, and if I forsee alot of walking I use it. Well this is a VAMC, so the walking is a given. Anyway, I pull into a handicapped slot actually quite close to the breezeway (like 1 in 100 chance) and I go thru my normal: open door, lift out legs, get crutches routine... same old same old. Anyway, as I was moving to the door, an old man - it said WWII veteran on his hat, stopped me and said.. "I have been sitting here for a couple of hours and you are the first disabled guy who looked disabled... I mean all them others just pulled in and jumped out and sometimes ran to catch the door..."

Sadly, or happily, I guess, the fact is I am 6'4", and weigh in at 235.. I dont LOOK disabled until you lift up my pants to see the leg braces, or if you see my crutches... I don't think of myself as disabled, and that gets me in trouble ALL the time because I do things I shouldn't. I try hard to do some form of exercize to keep the weight down, and normally I wear long pants (the braces dont show), so I have been faced with this issue again and again. What the heck is "disabled" anyhow?.... (sigh)....

I use hand controls in my car. I am getting (next week supposedly) a scooter (I just cant do the long walks anymore). I refused the offer of a wheelchair (they offered one that climbed stairs... I didnt know they even could) because I dont NEED a wheelchair. I am building an adapted home, but thats in case, not because... (does that make sense?)... Anyway, I deal with this every day, and the only answer I know is to make sure I am ok with me, and not worry about the rest. Personally I want to stay as able as possible, as long as possible. To me that means staying on the crutches as much as possible, (except for darn Disney World... nope never again). I still try to stay active, and work out using low impact, or no impact (which is bull they all impact some) machines that I have spent BIG bucks on....

I get SMC, but ya know.. it goes out to pay for people to do the stuff I cant anymore. I have a housecleaner (yep I have a wife but she works and its not fair to expect her to do everything). I'm not a slob, but I cant do the laundry thing, or scubbing floor thing etc. I have a guy who does the lawn, cause I cant do the riding lawnmower (until there's an attachment for my Lincoln anyway). I have a handy-man who fixes everything. So, that extra money goes where its supposed to.

Eventually... well Doc says eventually its gonna get worse. Well heck, it is getting worse. But... until they have been where I AM, I'll be darned if someone will question my right to park closer to the door. And anyway, Wal-Mart puts the darn cart returns so far up the isle, that if you take them to it, you have saved nothing in the way of walking.. (I actually showed a manager this, but apparently Wal-Mart has a policy... go figure). Anyway, it's something I have encountered again and again. My daughters school has a wheelchair ramp thats at like a 25 degrees pitch... no lie, I am under estimating if anything... its easier to use the stairs because I cant bend the ankles... and the ramp is so steep its insane. Yet what will people say if I complain? My wife works there as a teacher, what will they say to her?.... (sigh)... Anyway, I wrote a whole bunch to basically say "me too"...

Bob Smith

Guest HolliGreen

Hi Sixthscents, thanks for posting. I now believe I should not have replied to Hoppy's post (excellent and from the heart as his post is), the point I was trying to make was not only about parking placards but how some in society view disabled people. Certainly I did not mean to offend. Please take care. H.G

• HadIt.com Elder

In my state you can't get the plates unless you are in a wheelchair. I am not in a wheelchair yet so I have the hanging Chad on my mirror. I have foot problems but I can't get the plate unless I go to the office in a wheelchair. I have the DMV plate but not the little wheelchair on it. There are thousands of diabled people in my state of Florida and we are treated just like dirt.

• HadIt.com Elder

In Texas technically if you are a disabled Vet you have to hang a placard if you use the license plates for disabled veterans

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest HolliGreen

Hi, in California one is given a choice of either the disabled license plates or a hanging placard and if you select the placard, there is also a statement from the DMV that you must keep in your wallet/purse, this statement corresponds to the numbers and information on the placard and if an officer of the law asks to see this statement (in regard to any suspicions about your placard) you must show the statement from the DMV to the police officer. The fine for not having the statement is $500.00 I think. The placard works best for me because we have two cars plus when we are visiting parents, in-laws, I can take the placard with us if my husband drives us in his mom's car. It is interesting to learn how each state differs. Take care. and thanks! H.G