VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does a list exist of PRIMARY SC disabilities that cause SECONDARY SC disabilities?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

I can google things such as "secondary to PTSD" but I was wondering if there is an exhaustive list of (primary) service connected disabilities that vets have used to get secondary service connection.

While I understand your frustration deedub, not every VA examiner opinion is the end all be all. I've seen raters override both external and VA examiner opinions, sometimes in favor of and sometimes not. You are correct not all VA examiners are Dr's- there's a whole host of reasons for that spanning everything from cost to hire MDs at an attractive rate, MDs not wanting to work for the Govt, whatever.

That said, while not in your case, there are a whole host of doctors that will pretty much write whatever you want, too- they use veiled wording on their sites and charge a boatload for their IMO's, and almost never have they actually seen you, or your records, other than what you provide to them. VA examiners have access to your whole file of medical-your submissions, VAMC, whatever is in there. Outside doctors only have what you give them. That is the main reason that an NP or ANP in the VA sometimes has an opinion that over-rules a doctor, because the ANP can see some things that the outside doctor can't. Its a combination of both propensity of evidence, and weight. 

I'm not commenting on the 'rightness' of it, because every situation is different, just trying to explain for 'the folks at home' a little bit of what I see from my end. I've read some weird stuff too, where a vet is clearly DX'd with something (in the case of one I saw the other day, Camp LJ) and had clear service dates during the time period, but was denied conditions for it due to no in-service event. Now, 2 of the conditions weren't on CFR 3.309 and the opinion was written by a GP that didn't check to see what conditions are presumed, otherwise they would have known that the opinion they were writing about lung nodules was not a slam dunk based on military exposure. Had the checked 3.309, however, they would have been able to infer the various carcinoma's the veteran had,  and SHOULD have approached it from that angle- it was a presumed condition. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a C&P exam by a VA neurologist who said my PN  was secondary to DMII and that it was pretty severe.  That exam was overruled by a VA PCP who said my PN was not apparent and was not due to DMII.  The VA took the word of the horse doctor over the board certified neurologist.  I actually knew the father of the neurologist.  He told his daughter to quit and get a real job.  It islike having a podiatrist overrule an orthopedic surgeon.  Nowhere but the VA or worker's compensation.  OWCP has contract doctors who are hitmen but you would think the VA would not treat vets like that.