Closed Claim before scheduled C&P

Boots624

Question

Boots624 Welcome to Hadit.

It may mean several things, but you need a decision letter from the VA; doesn't make much sense to speculate on limited info. Did the home sleep study indicate you have OSA? Do you have a diagnosis already and does it include a CPAP machine? You MAY get a little info if you call 800-827-1000, but they have very limited info regarding claim details that they can pass on to you. More than likely they will not provide anything useful. Find out if they have issued the decision letter, what date, and I would ask if they can see why your C&P was cancelled. You can call after 10 days of the dated decision letter and ask for a copy; I'd recommend as an attachment back to you via email. If you have a denial. let us know and we can possibly offer suggestions on what to do next. Good luck.

5 hours ago, Boots624 said:

I have a C&P exam scheduled for next week for sleep apnea. I completed an at home sleep study sent by VES. However, I just visited ebenefits and noticed that my claim has been closed before my scheduled exam. Anyone ever experience this?

Unfortunately, the VA is in the position to grant/deny/closed your claim. The unique thing about your situation is that you still have a pending C & P exam. Either the VA will cancel this C & P exam, or they will allow you to keep it. Either way, you need to contact your PCP and try to get an appointment with the Sleep Evaluation Clinic to have your in-home sleep study explained to you and to get a diagnoses or not and go from there. 

OK, until you get an official letter no real concerns to call the VA. Depending on how you filed your claim you will need a diagnosis. If you filed for direct service connection, you would need to meet the Caluza Elements which are 1. an in-service event, accident or incident. 2. A current diagnosis. And 3. A nexus connecting 1. And 2. You would need a medical opinion and a medical rationale that supports this claim.  If you filed a secondary claim to an already service-connected disability, you are going to still need a medical opinion and a medical rationale that connects your current sleep apnea to your service-connected disability.

If you have been working with a VSO, I would give them a holler.  If not, find one & they will be happy to talk to you. 

I am fortunate in that there is a VA regional office within driving distance of where I live.  When I was developing my claim, I met a very nice DAV representative that really helped me out.

On a sidenote, I am 100% P&T and I have VA diagnosed sleep apnea, but nothing in my records indicate that I had it while on active duty, so I’m not pursuing it as I don’t want to rock the boat.

I’m very thankful for the 100% rating and the care that the VA gave me when I needed it most.

texasvet