VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does the VA pull back or pro-rate disability compensation for the month of death like Social Security does?

Rate this question

minerva18

Question

I suggest you go to this link for some good info on this:

https://www.va.gov/survivors/faqs.asp#FAQ6

I certainly agree with Brokensoldier but when my husband died, they pulled his comp out of our joint checking account right away.That was over 2 dcades ago however and I am glad to see the VA does not do that anymore.

We have a full DIC forum here if you are applying for DIC.

1 hour ago, minerva18 said:

Thanks for the reply, do you know how quick they are to suspend benefits after a death is reported?  Reported yesterday to them and hoping that was in time for January to not be paid.

You should be fine. VA benefits aren't batched and queued up to be sent until the later part of a given month. Keep an eye on it, though, it sometimes happens but it is rare.

VA compensation is paid "in arrears".  (Not in advance, like rent).  

Therefore, You wont owe anything back, because you were getting paid for the previous complete month. 

To the best of my knowledge, VA does not "pro rate" benefits.  That is why, if your effective date is July 27, your compensation "begins" at the first of the following month.  However, you dont get paid in August, you dont get paid until September 1, which is compensation for August, in this example.  

With the IRS, if your child is born by Dec. 31, 2021 at 11:59 and 59 seconds, (or earlier)  you get the tax deduction for the entire year of 2021.  

I think you may well "get" that full month of December, but I guess you will see.  My advice:  Dont fret about them sending you money you think you are not entitled to.  Let em do so.  

Once, I was overpaid by VA due to their error.  I wrote them and told them of the changes, but they kept sending me money for 18 more months.  Finally, they said I owed them back that 18 months.  

Well, I appealed (its called a waiver) as its not MY fault it took VA to do this, and, repayment would be a hardship.  My appeal was granted and I did not have to repay 1 cent..ever.  

• HadIt.com Elder

If a spouse reports the death of a 100% vet will ChampVA be continued until the spouse can claim survivor benefits.  My wife has ChampVA.  I know it probably takes months to get DIC after report of death.  If all my VA benefits suddenly stopped my wife lose alot until she got survivor benefits including $1400 a month.  Same for SSA survivor and postal  pensions.