VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

c&p for depression/insomnia

Rate this question

Huggy

Question

My apologies as I'm sure this question has probably been asked before in some way or fashion.  Over the years, I have been diagnosed by my VA mental health providers as having "recurrent major depression", "depressive disorder", "major depression, single episode", "insomnia", and "chronic insomnia", depending on, I suppose, the writer. of each particular note.  The question I have is this:  all of these diagnoses have been from VA mental health providers, so I would assume that depression and insomnia have been established.  IF I apply for benefits, will they still schedule a C&P exam to determine if I have depression/insomnia?  Thanks!

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Short answer; most probably. I'd count on it. They do that for original MH claims even if you have strong evidence, including VA diagnosis. But that said, I'm not sure that they really have to. A lot goes into evaluation for service-connection for MH claims, so I would expect that they are missing "something" that they have to do. If you have submit the recent MH notes, including diagnosis, you will be re-evaluated again for the claim and most of those will be rolled up together as one claim, not seperate. I encourage you to submit and also to continue to seek treatment.

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

My apologies as I'm sure this question has probably been asked before in some way or fashion.  Over the years, I have been diagnosed by my VA mental health providers as having "recurrent major depression", "depressive disorder", "major depression, single episode", "insomnia", and "chronic insomnia", depending on, I suppose, the writer. of each particular note.  The question I have is this:  all of these diagnoses have been from VA mental health providers, so I would assume that depression and insomnia have been established.  IF I apply for benefits, will they still schedule a C&P exam to determine if I have depression/insomnia?  Thanks!

Yes, most likely, The VARO has to determine if your mental health disorder is military related or not. The VARO also has to determine how severe your mental health is and to rate it and assign it an effective date. This most likely comes for a C & P exam. Some veterans try to get around having to have to go to a C & P exam but that is totally up to the VARO, and they will most likely request one. Keep in mind that the VARO and the VAMC are two different animals. The VAMC will treat most veterans’ symptoms if they are service related or not, but the VARO is only concern about if the symptoms are military related or not. Keep in mind that you will need the Caluza Elements to be awarded service connection. 1. an in-service event, accident and or an incident. 2. A current diagnosis and finally. 3. A nexus connecting 1. and 2. with a good medical rational.

Help them out by documenting the in-service incident that would be considered the stressor. 

If you do not already have your active duty records, get them now.  Then you can document what happened and make the job much easier for the RO. Easy is a way to say make sure the RO can find the information.

Read up here.

Edited by pwrslm

• HadIt.com Elder

Were you ever treated for or diagnosed with a mental health issue in service?  No matter since you will get the C&P exam regardless.  Just tell the exam doctors the way it is and leave nothing out. If they ask about your childhood or family life before service tell the everything was great.  You had no trouble as a child with the law or school or family.  Sometimes these C&P doctors will try and take you down the "personality disorder" road.   That happened to me after Vietnam with the VA.  I had to fight that PD diagnosis for years.  You can't get compensated for a PD.  

Thank you all for the quick and speedy responses!  I think at this point I will pursue this and see what happens.  I'm in no way worried about such an exam, I was just thinking that it might be redundant, but packmanx1 offered a very good explanation on why they would likely do a C&P.

I appreciate you all kicking this around with me!

Huggy