VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Decided to try and work on TDIU

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hi all!! 

It’s been a while, hope everyone is well!! For those who don’t have any background on me, I’m 80% TDIU for PTSD. At my last C&P, doc found no change in my condition, so benefits were continued, P&T status granted. 

That’s where the good news ends, unfortunately. I’m struggling with feeling very detached from society lately; certain unwelcome thoughts have entered…. I simply don’t know what else to do aside from getting out there and trying to contribute. 

I know it’s ill-advised for someone to try working on TDIU, and I understand the risks associated with it… But my VA benefits mean nothing if I’m no longer with us… I just know I can’t sit around and do nothing anymore, so I’m going to try getting a part-time job near my home. 

I have done my fair share of research on what might happen as a result of this… but I refuse to let my fear dominate me. Worst case scenario, benefits are stripped and my story ends. If they want to challenge me for it, so be it. But I will no longer feel ashamed for wanting to work… for wanting to be a part of the machine that keeps our economy alive…. To serve a purpose…

A bit unsettling that I may be digging my own grave here…. but when compared to another alternative I have in mind, it doesn’t seem like such a bad idea when all factors are considered…

My question is, should I retain a lawyer to be ready for VA shenanigans, or wait until they propose a reduction? I expect a call or letter after I report income… I get so caught up in the thought of fighting the VA that I don’t even consider not being able to handle work anyway…. guess I’m just holding onto faith that I can somehow live a normal life before my time is up. 

be well, everybody :]

• HadIt.com Elder

Do volunteer work rather than risking your TDIU.  If you were to get 100% schedular you could work all you want.  I know how you feel about being detached due to no-work life style but look at the long run.  If you get SSA and TDIU you will be set in your old age.  Vet benefits alone are really not much but if you can get SSA and TDIU and maybe some kind of pension you are in good shape.  When you applied for TDIU you were telling VA you were unemployable. These are the hard facts.  I got TDIU 20 years ago.  It is a great retirement system for vets if they have a few other assets.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

On 2/2/2022 at 1:57 AM, MarineLCpl said:

Hi all!! 

It’s been a while, hope everyone is well!! For those who don’t have any background on me, I’m 80% TDIU for PTSD. At my last C&P, doc found no change in my condition, so benefits were continued, P&T status granted. 

That’s where the good news ends, unfortunately. I’m struggling with feeling very detached from society lately; certain unwelcome thoughts have entered…. I simply don’t know what else to do aside from getting out there and trying to contribute. 

I know it’s ill-advised for someone to try working on TDIU, and I understand the risks associated with it… But my VA benefits mean nothing if I’m no longer with us… I just know I can’t sit around and do nothing anymore, so I’m going to try getting a part-time job near my home. 

I have done my fair share of research on what might happen as a result of this… but I refuse to let my fear dominate me. Worst case scenario, benefits are stripped and my story ends. If they want to challenge me for it, so be it. But I will no longer feel ashamed for wanting to work… for wanting to be a part of the machine that keeps our economy alive…. To serve a purpose…

A bit unsettling that I may be digging my own grave here…. but when compared to another alternative I have in mind, it doesn’t seem like such a bad idea when all factors are considered…

My question is, should I retain a lawyer to be ready for VA shenanigans, or wait until they propose a reduction? I expect a call or letter after I report income… I get so caught up in the thought of fighting the VA that I don’t even consider not being able to handle work anyway…. guess I’m just holding onto faith that I can somehow live a normal life before my time is up. 

be well, everybody :]

It would be great if you would consider some counseling if you continue having that 'other option' thought on your mind. I am TDIU as well and it can get depressing feeling isolated... especially in these times with Covid, it's not a good place to be for some of us. I don't know when you became TDIU but if you are eligible for Voc Rehab & Ed, you may be able to keep getting your bene $$$ while training for a new job. I think you would keep your benefits $$$ while you train and for sometime afterwards as well. Some pursue college or some a trade. But I would NOT recommend getting some kind of work if it puts you over a substantial living wage (approx 12K). IMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

You should consider you age when thinking about giving up TDIU after getting some training or college.  If you are over 50 you are just about unemployable anyway no matter college or training.  Now if you could start your own business then you might make a go of it.  When I went out on TDIU I was 51 years old. I hated being unemployed, but given my disabilites  I knew I would never be able to work.  In the long run it has been good financially for me.  Think about your retirement!  If all you have is SSA then TDIU or 100% is like gold.  Millions of Americans retire on SSA and are really poor.  If all you have is VA money then you are poor, but combined with SSA it is not bad.  We need a hell of a lot more for VA compensation to be above poverty IMO.   Think carefully about violating VA rules.  They are unforgiving.