Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T and a question...

Rate this topic

drago

21 minutes ago, cwatson said:

I would not take the time trying to pursue another condition that was not related as a secondary or otherwise because I am experiencing the VA trying to reduce my ratings, but they cannot succeed because I have too many sources and proof. 

There are some VA employees, VSOs and others say that once a veteran reaches 100% there is nothing else, but it really depends on that veterans' medical health and records. SMC payments are normally granted after a veteran reaches 100% or TDIU so there are more benefits. It still would be very hard for the VA to prove a veteran's disability (IES) has improved once the veteran has been rated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies to this. I wanted to do a follow-up and ask yet another question.

The background on my ischemic heart claim is I was experiencing shortness of breath and some chest discomfort.  I went to the cardiologist who recommended a stress test.  I failed the stress test, was diagnosed with ischemic heart disease and was sent for a cathertization for most likely a stent.  Following the cathertization, the doc (who was always in a hurry), said I didn't need a stent and "everything went fine".   So, I thought I had ischemic heart disease, but didn't need a stent.  I had a yearly follow-up today with a different doctor in the practice who took some time and talked me through what had actually happened.  Turns out I had a false positive on the stress test showing a blockage when there in fact wasn't one.  The cathertization showed no blockages, and therefore I am not currently diagnosed with ischemic heart disease.  So "yay" on that... at least one part of me is ok.  But that's why part of the documentation I have shows ischemic heart disease and another part of it says I don't have it.

Question then... do I just call up the VA and stop the eval process for ischemic heart since I literally do not have it?

Drago..

You are somewhat new, but we suggest a new topic when you have a rather unrelated question.  You can get more answers that way, because people familiar with IHD, may well not be as familiar with 100 percent P and T, etc.  But, I will answer anyway, but, in the future, I recommend starting a new topic.  

I "almost never" suggest withdrawal of a claim.  I would not in your case.  While a current diagnosis "is required", different doctors could diagnose stuff differently.

Even worse:  The doc who said you dont have IHD could be wrong..and that could be a tragedy for your family..by withdrawal of that claim.  You see, if you die from a SC condition, your spouse can get DIC, and IHD can easily become fatal.  Another doc may well dispute that doc's opinion who says you dont have it.  There was likely a reason why doc number one diagnosed you..and you probably dont know all those reasons, either.  

As an example, doc 1 could say "you dont have IHD", but you have (insert another heart condition diagnosis, instead).  But if you withdraw it, you would likely be withdrawing that one also.  

My advice is simply to continue the claim, wait for a decision, and THEN, if denied, decide if you want to persue an appeal.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, pacmanx1 said:

There are some VA employees, VSOs and others say that once a veteran reaches 100% there is nothing else, but it really depends on that veterans' medical health and records. SMC payments are normally granted after a veteran reaches 100% or TDIU so there are more benefits. It still would be very hard for the VA to prove a veteran's disability (IES) has improved once the veteran has been rated.

I would definitely pursue the ischemic heart disease.  A friend received it as an "s" SMC award and the that put him over 160%,which currently is about $300+/- monthly, in addition to your monthly 100% or TDIU pay.  I won mine for housebound, retro 31yrs, because I didn't give up.  Go for it!!!  It'll help pay for that new electric car the gov't is trying to make us all buy. jmo  

• HadIt.com Elder

Anything that might kill you should probably be pursued.   Where is my electic car by the way?  I got an extra 60% for the heart.   If you have a serious disability even if are 100% pursue it.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use