Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T and a question...

Rate this topic

drago

Think "long and hard" before you withdraw any claim.  I have never won any benefits to any claim I withdrew.  

The safest choice, by far, is simply to continue that claim, even if it never resulted in a dime more compensation. Why? 

1.  "If" the VA tries to reduce your rating for "condition A", and you have some ratings over and above 100 percent, then "your covered".  

2.  As mentioned, a new rating for a heart condition "could be a game changer" for your family, especially if you pass away due to a heart condition.  How?  Well, your spouse should get DIC (probably about $1500 per month or so) but only if one of 2 things happen:

a. You die of a service connected condition.  OR

b.  You die of any condition but only after you have been P and T for 10 years.  

Your family may well need that money, for college, or just to survive.  It can really hurt your chances at getting DIC if you withdraw a claim.  

3.  SMC.  SMC S is about an additional $380 per month, this year.  And, additional ratings could well mean you get SMC S (statuatory).  To get this, you need 100 percent plus an additional 60 percent.  By keeping in that claim, you may well get an extra 380 per month.  

For the reasons above, I dont recommend withdrawing your claim(s).  

GBArmy- not sure who "Peggy" is...? LOL I would do a letter etc., and I'm all about double checking everything.

Pacman-no dependent kids, but my wife and I have talked and she is supportive, both for the benefit if I die from a heart issue, and also to see if it could blaze a path for others to claim the chemical exposure. Like I said, I think it is a loooooong shot to start with, and my heart condition is mild, and depending on the doctor, may not be there at all (one cardio says it's there, a second says it isn't).

Broncovet- first, my apologies, I should have included you in the thank yous for helping along the way. You have also been a great resource. Being P&T, I don't *think* there should be any reductions from here on, but with the VA, all things are possible I guess. And I guess that is my ultimate concern, that the heart claim will cause a re-eval of everything, namely if the heart claim had lapsed and would be a "start over", would it open the door to another round of re-evals? and I am just not up for more re-evals...

As much as the benefits etc are great at 100%, and P&T

Due to the fact that the VARO just adjudicated your current ratings as P & T, you are not likely going to lose this rating status. Your heart claim is pending, and the VARO should only request a C & P exam for your heart condition. Once the heart condition is completed that should be it. With that said if your heart condition is granted/awarded at 60%, you could get another requested exam for SMC but then again this may not happen, and the VARO could grant your SMC without an exam. I have been posting that I have been rated 100% scheduler P & T for well over a decade and the VARO has sent me to multiple exams to complete my appeals for two separate EEDs., but they are still pending. The VARO has not messed with my current rating status.

"Peggy" is...?

Peggy is anyone at the 1(800) 827-1000 call center number.

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with pacmanx1  on this.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not withdraw if it was my claim , could cause you problems later on down the road, these claims are to hard to get approve in the first place  and as broncovet mention the more service connections we got the harder it is to reduce the veteran back to under his original 100% rating, file for it even if your denied at least you have it in the claims now than later if you get worse or these things cause your death.

even if your not eliagble for the smc s RATINGS or A&A   if any of these claims cause you to become bed ridden  then they should use the date you first filed .

we don't know what our future is  but if we got things covered it makes it more easy later on down the old road.

• 2 weeks later...

I have and am filing or pursuing other conditions after I was rated 100% because the other conditions are related to my other conditions. 

I would not take the time trying to pursue another condition that was not related as a secondary or otherwise because I am experiencing the VA trying to reduce my ratings but they cannot succeed because I have too many sources and proof.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use