VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This Something New?

This letter shows your service history and some VA benefits information. You can customize this letter and use it for many things, including to apply for housing assistance, civil service jobs, and state or local property and "car tax relief".

OK, I knew about the property tax exemption when buying a home, but I never heard of any tax relief if a veteran buys a car. I found this when I was trying to check on letter generation on VA.gov.

I read that some States that have personal property taxes, like a yearly tax on your vehicle(s), they exempt "one" vehicle from that annual property tax.  The State of Virginia is one.

My State, Wisconsin, does not have personal property tax, but does have real estate property tax, which is returned when you do your income taxes each year, if you are 100% or payed as 100% Disable Veteran.

Check your States, Veterans, you never know,

Carl

• HadIt.com Elder

Each state is different.  Florida has total property tax exemption  for 100% P&T vets.  We get DL free and almost free tags.  We represent a tiny minority now days so why not?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Alabama also grants a full exemption on homestead taxes for permanently and totally disabled veterans, plus a partial tax exemption on vehicle registration.

When I got my 100% P&T letter the effective date was five years earlier. I visited the tax office and asked if they could retroactively reimburse me for the taxes I paid during that time. They said they could not. They indicated having to tell SSDI recipients the same thing. I was told I could talk with my state representative and ask if they could write a law allowing for retroactive reimbursement. Oof...

I wish Indiana would get on board with the full exemption that some states have. We get $24,960 off the assessed value of our homes here and property taxes here are pretty high. There's an additional $14,000 but the assessed value has to be under $200,000.