Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Specially Adapted Housing grant

Rate this question

Aquaria

Question

I have applied twice for the SAH grant and both times been denied (1 application & 1 appeal). I have provided documents from my doctor that I have loss of use of my limbs that leaves me having to utilize a wheelchair prescribed from the VA. I was recently service connected for both arms (incomplete paralysis) and both legs (incomplete paralysis). Should I appeal again using the new service connections? What am I missing here as the latest denial letter states I'm not eligible but by what I read I actually am eligible. 

Service Connected for

50% migraines

10% Costochondritis

40% Fibromyalgia

100% PTSD

40% left upper extremity (dominant) idiopathic small fiber neuropathy (involving all radicular groups of nerves)

30% right upper extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy (involving all radicular groups of nerves)

60% right lower extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy ( Incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve, severe with marked muscular atrophy)

60% left lower extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy ( Incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve, severe with marked muscular atrophy)

Richard that is what I read as well. I am rated for incomplete paralysis which specifically mentions loss of use of all four extremities. (Upper Left & Right Lower left & Right) which is more than the limb as it is all 4 quadrants of the body. Any suggestions here as by what I read i should qualify?

That is a great win I also have incomplete paralysis of the upper extremity.

Document in my record for 25 years.

But the VA is fight me like hell to grant smc loss of use of upper extremity 

I even have the VA hospital pay for in home care and they still fighting me.

So I believe you are bless that they even granted the house granted.

Did they granted the automobile grant?

Honestly, I can't see a reason that they could grant the SAH grant because there is no rating for loss of any limb, nor is there a rating for loss of use of any limb. If you are a pre 9/11 vet and rated for loss of, or loss of use of two limbs, in any combination, that is a 100% award, and would get you the grant. However, if you are a post 9/11 vet, loss of, or loss of use of only one limb will get you the grant. Your disabilities, as listed above, do not include loss of, or loss of use of any limb.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you must have complete loss of use to get the grant.  You must be specific as to actual loss of use. That means things like foot drop etc.