Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ha, I got it! ( SMC K)

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

About two weeks ago I was granted service connection for ED, but the rating did not say one thing about a K award. I prefected an appeal and requested a K award it was mailed on 23 May. Well I just looked at ebenefits - under addition Benefits and look what it says, see the last entry.  So it looks like they just took their time before listing it in ebenfits, but again nothing in the award letter mentions it. I Love it when a plan comes together !

You are receiving the following compensationsLearn More

SMC (K-1)Effective Date :

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (k) and 38 CFR 3.350(a) on account of loss of use of one foot from 09/27/1998.

Rating Date : 05/19/2022

SMC (L-1)Effective Date : 01/31/2007

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (l) and 38 CFR 3.350(b) on account of being so helpless as to be in need of regular aid and attendance while not hospitalized at U.S. government expense from 01/31/2007.

SMC (P-1)Effective Date : 01/31/2007

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (p) and 38 CFR 3.350(f)(3) at the rate intermediate between subsection (l) and subsection (m) on account of entitlement to the rate equal to subsection (l) with additional disability, low back strain with degenerative disc disease with left foot drop independently ratable at 50 percent or more from 01/31/2007.

SMC (K-1)Effective Date : 04/21/2022

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (k) and 38 CFR 3.350(a) on account of loss of use of a creative organ from 04/21/2022.

Edited by Richard1954
added information

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

• Founder

Congratulations on the win.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Congratulations. Well done. 

I had got denied ed due to my age. I am still fighting. I see men older than me that are getting it. 

4 hours ago, Whodat said:

I had got denied ed due to my age. I am still fighting. I see men older than me that are getting it. 

This would be an illegal denial. .The VA CANNOT consider age when adjudicating any claim.

I am 68 and I was awarded service connection with nothing in my medical record except a recent perscription ( Apr 2022) for ED Drug that I will never use, 

Frankly, my COPD prevents me from most phycical activities. I only requested service connection for the K award, otherwise why bother since its an automatic 0% rating.

You should look at the denial you received, and if it was denied because of age,  Submit a CUE claim, because no matter when it was denied this is just wrong.

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

Well the VA will try anything for a denial. I have the scripts and also SC conditions that can cause Ed but was denied because of my age and that I smoke. I did not start smoking until after I joined the service and after redeployment from Desert Storm. 

Congratulations!

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, Whodat said:

Well the VA will try anything for a denial. I have the scripts and also SC conditions that can cause Ed but was denied because of my age and that I smoke. I did not start smoking until after I joined the service and after redeployment from Desert Storm. 

I don't see how they can deny it for either reason, smoking is not against the law, and its not like taking illegal drugs, and it is illegal for the va to deny a claim based on age. In fact no claim can be denied based on age because the law says that cannot consider age as a factor in any case.

Edited by Richard1954
What else- fat fingers, and spelling