Jump to content
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0

Need help finding IMO in California



  • Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Moderator

Hi Paul, welcome to Hadit. You should certainly have a IMO for a secondary condition related to your s-c foot disability. Quite common actually, but you need to be evaluated in person, not virtual for get the fexon measurements etc. I don't have any direct contacts for you but what I'd do is contact a few of the big law firms and discuss and they may give you a lead to one or two that they work with. Try CC&K for example, as they are pretty big nationwide. Also consider other secondaries to the foot and knee issues. Back issues, meds causing GERD, etc.Good luck.

Link to comment
  • 0

GB is spot on. I have trying for years to knee conditions secondary to my Pes planus Plantars Fascitis. Kept getting denied so I am using a Law Firm.  I even had an IMO.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Moderator

Its rough for Vets.  What you posted happens over and over...Vets need another docs opinion to overcome an unfavorable VA doc opinion, and those are not always easily available.  

Understand the difference between IMO (Independent Medical OPINION) AND IME (INdepedent medical exam).  An Exam normally happens "in person", BUT, you may be able to get an appointment via one of the facetime types of video appointments.  VA does those, so how can they bash them?  I HAVE had at least 2 online video medical appointments.  

I agree a NEW exam (IME) is mostly better than an IMO, where the doc reviews other docs exams, and renders his opinion.  

There is much information on IMO's and IME's here on hadit, and much of it is great advice.  Usually, if hadit members dont agree with some of the advice, they chime in..so, its often "fire tested", so to speak..  

It would take a review of your file to determine if you could get by with an IMO (no exam) or you needed an IME.  

Lots of times an IMO will suffice, remember, you just need a nexus.  

If an IMO will suffice, there are multiple docs, or even companies, which do VA IMO's.  If you need an exam, you need that exam to be in your city or one you are willing to drive/fly to.  

In any case, get an IMO/IME with somone very familiar with your condition, knees.  A friend who has a PHd (Doctor) in basketball, wont be of much use.  You have to demonstrate your doc is an expert witness, and can render an expert opinion.  Other wise, you could ask your teen age daughter to write you an opinion of how your knees is related to your sc foot pain.  

If this is a secondary condition, then you dont need an inservice event.  You need 2 things:

1.  Current diagnosis of knee condition.

2.  Doc opinion that its at least as likely as not related to your Sc foot issue.  


Link to comment
  • 0
9 hours ago, PaulodeFesta said:

Already rated for my foot but now have knee problems

Some VA doctors do not like to get involved as soon as you say, “Nexus/Disability Letter,” but may be more willing to write a statement in your progress report of the cause of your knee condition and the likelihood it is caused by or related to your service-connected foot disability. Keep in mind if you are being treated for your knee condition you may already have a nexus statement in your progress reports. Look through them to see if there is anything in them that connects your knee to your service-connect foot. When treating a condition, doctors normally have to diagnose and determine an etiology (cause) of a condition.

Link to comment
  • 0

Good point. Also if you have a foot problem, see if your VA primary care can refer you to a podiatrist. If you need arch support and special shoes, VA will get them for you. They did for me. 

But like GB and Pacman stated, message your podiatrist, ask if your service connected foot condition is causing your knee problems. 

I did both to my primary care and my podiatrist. Might work. 

Also, if you have knee problems, the VA like to see corrective actions like physical therapy. I know that it's a pain to do all of this but they want to see if the condition can be corrected by treatment. In my case it didn't help. 

Link to comment
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines